Can I still stock pond?

Reaction score
Hi all,
I live in Southern Connecticut and have a 1500+ gallon 3 foot deep pond with waterfall. It's been running for three months and all parameters are good. I have 2 koi and five Lily plants. Is it too late in the season to put more fish in the pond?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
It depends on your water temperature. If the water temp is hitting 50s, then it's too late.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Hi Gloria,
what is your hardiness zone?
Would the fish have at least a couple of months to settle in before the cold ?
Me, I'd wait till Spring time, after the temps starts to stabilize. :)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
Thanks everyone. I'm in hardiness zone 7a. I'm thinking 2 more fish.

You should be able to add one now and one more in spring. 7a is not too bad this week and next week. Only problem is that you wont have time to quarantine before the weather tanks.

Reaction score
IMG_2963.jpg
IMG_2961.JPG
IMG_2962.JPG
Do you think so need to quarantine if all fish have come from Blue Ridge Fish hatchery? Here is my pond. It was a 2000gallon kit but I conservatively say 1500 gallons due to the rock I put in. The top pic is a smaller pond that was at my old house, it was 400 gallons with 6+ fish. I used to clean filters a lot but it was this way the 6 years I had it until I moved.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Any fish coming from one place to another needs to be quarantined! Bacteria and parasites exist in all pond water but differ from one pond to another. What is normal in one pond could be a major problem in another.

Ask a Question