can I use plywood

janine9620

janine
Reaction score
Hey, I'm in Central Florida, all sandy soil, I need to add to my pond, my existing is rung with cinder block, and angled so that it wouldn't cave, but at the expense of alot of volume. When I add to it, can I dig out the new area and make the sides of plywood so they are straighter and deeper, then old carpet, then liner? The bottom still dirt. I'll connect them with a stream. What ya think?????

Reaction score
I would be worried about the moisture the plywood will pick up. You may just be kinda waisting money on plywood. How big are we talking?

janine9620

janine
Reaction score
Now, I'm not using the plywood as a container for the liner, more of a solid to hold back dirt from caving in, still angled somewhat, just not as much slope as I would have with dirt alone. Just to keep the dirt in place, the ground is the form for the pond.

Reaction score
Regular plywood would get weak and rot away eventually. Marine plywood might last a while, but I don't really know. I think you'd have to brace the plywood somehow or when the soil shifted, it would just push the plywood into the pond.

How deep are you going?

janine9620

janine
Reaction score
I want to go just a lil less than the 4 feet width. I was thinking of bracing with rebar metal steaks in front, then the carpet over them. It's not sugar sand I'm working with, just the normal Florida earth, actually at about 2 feet, the dirt gets pretty hard. Marine plywood would be best...it just cost a fortune?? Do you think if there was a cave in it would be able to push the plywood into the pond?

Reaction score
janine9620 said:
Do you think if there was a cave in it would be able to push the plywood into the pond?
Yes, otherwise, it wouldn't cave in.

I want to go just a lil less than the 4 feet width.
Do you mean depth, or are you wanting a 4' x 4' pond?

I was thinking of bracing with rebar metal steaks in front, then the carpet over them.

I really don't have the knowledge or experience to give you a solid answer on this, but I think that with heavy plywood and enough rebar, it might hold, at least until the rebar rusts away or the plywood rots or your pond is empty for some reason and it rains. There's a reason why they don't build houses this way, though, eh?

It might help to replace loose soil with crusher run (aka "crush and run" -- the gravel they put under roadbeds). Once you tamp it down, it generally won't move much. But be very cautious about using crusher near the surface. It's too sharp for the liner and way too alkaline for the fish.

With the clay we have here, it's usually the bottom that gives way, rather than the top. Is that how it is with your soil?

I've heard of people stabilizing the soil in mid-depth ponds with some kind of weak concrete mix. But I don't think that's going to work for for straight, vertical walls. Cinder block would, if done properly.

I gather you're on a tight budget for this project, but consider the value of your time. You could put a lot of hours into this and have it fall apart on you, requiring even more hours to fix. Better to get it right the first time, even if you have to wait until you can buy or scrounge what you need.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
On another forum a pond builder/dealer uses plywood all the time at a depth of four feet and more.

Reaction score
You could use 3/4" presure treated plywood. I would drive 2" x 4"'s vertically below finished grade of the pond bottom and install dead men horizontally away from the pond into the vertical 2" x 4"'s. Then you can screw the plywood into the vertical 2" x 4"'s. This should hold back the plywood if you drain the pond and loose the outward pressure from the water.

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
I did read about the ply wood pond ,it worked well in the desert were it was dry..in florida they could try dura rock , or rock board,,like they use when they tile a shower..it wont rot ,or get eaten..frame it with p.t. 2x4's..

Reaction score
I used treated 4x4's as braces and just treated wood decking. Make sure you get your 4x4 deep and use a concrete base. Mine is 12 x 14.

PondSpring2008.jpg

The extra pond liner is just to keep the wind off. I'm in northern MN, so wanted to keep those -50f windchills off the pond. Total depth is 5 feet.

PondLandscaping71308.jpg

Ask a Question