Can Pond Heaters be Lethal to fish?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello All, The Cold Winter is not far away in the NorthEast ( Upstate NY). I have a 300 gall. pond with a few Comets. In past years, I have had as may as 11 Comets, however, it seems when we put the Pond heater in the Pond, we always lose several fish. We find them floating near the heater? I don't understand this phenomenon, and I was hoping some of you more experienced pond keepers may know why? I sure do want to avoid this situation this season. Thanks for any suggestions, Zelinda

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Unless there is some sort of stray current getting into the pond from the heater, it wont kill your fish. How large were your goldfish in the past when some died? Do you leave a pump running in the winter to keep circulation moving in the pond?

Keep in mind fish go into torpor in the winter, and if not in great/good health going into this period, they can easily succumb to death from this weakened state.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Unless there is some sort of stray current getting into the pond from the heater, it wont kill your fish. How large were your goldfish in the past when some died? Do you leave a pump running in the winter to keep circulation moving in the pond?

Keep in mind fish go into torpor in the winter, and if not in great/good health going into this period, they can easily succumb to death from this weakened state.
You know, I have wondered if it is a stray current? Is it important to keep a pump running in the Winter?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Stray current was my first thought, too but it may be that the fish are dying of other causes and you find them near the heater because they float to the top. OR they are being fooled into thinking it's warm up there and get too cold...

But yes, if you can keep the pump running that really is the best for water quality all winter long. Your pond is small and could easily be overwhelmed by accumulated waste if there's no water movement or filtration all winter long.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
I have never had a problem with a pond deicer.
I suspect something else had killed your fish.

As stated, your pond is small, so any parameters that are off may be quite detrimental compared to a larger pond.

Could be lack of oxygen, too much accumulated ammonia, predators or just the end of the lifespan of some fish.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
i'd be willing to bet the pond is just to small 300 gallons in upper state ny where the temps are below freezing in the winter. my guess is they are simply falling victims to a to shallow of a pond

Reaction score
Country
United States
Stray current was my first thought, too but it may be that the fish are dying of other causes and you find them near the heater because they float to the top. OR they are being fooled into thinking it's warm up there and get too cold...

But yes, if you can keep the pump running that really is the best for water quality all winter long. Your pond is small and could easily be overwhelmed by accumulated waste if there's no water movement or filtration all winter long.
Thanks so much for your help, I am going to keep the pump running.

Reaction score
Country
United States

As stated, your pond is small, so any parameters that are off may be quite detrimental compared to a larger pond.

Could be lack of oxygen, too much accumulated ammonia, predators or just the end of the lifespan of some fish.
Yes, thank you.

Reaction score
Country
United States
i'd be willing to bet the pond is just to small 300 gallons in upper state ny where the temps are below freezing in the winter. my guess is they are simply falling victims to a to shallow of a pond
Yes, you are probably right.

Reaction score
Country
United States

I agree, thank you.

Ask a Question