Can some reccomend a good pump and filter?

Reaction score
That's a broad and big question. Let's start by finding out:

1. are you willing to DIY a filter, or do you just want to buy something off the shelf?
2. what's your budget?
3. what size will your pond be?
4. what kind of fish are you planning on keeping? Just goldfish? Koi? both?

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
your biggest concern in pumps is operating costs, but for your very small pond the costs will be minimal due to being able to use a smaller pump.. 5' x 3'or4' and no depth measurement is not very descriptive ... with never having had any filtration before, anyfilter you use will be an improvement, but if you could post a picture or two we can assist you better by being able to see what your working with.

FXM

Reaction score
Looking to purchase something off of the shelf. Budget is not a problem. The pond is already installed. It is constructed of stone. It presently has some KOI and tadpoles in it, as well as lottsssssss of what I think is "parrot feather". The previous owner never used a pump or a filter in the pond. I just want to keep KOI. I guess I should post a few photos of the pond on the forum so you folks have a better idea of what I have.

Thanks!

F.X.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
FXM..I am sorry but a pond of 3' x 5' just wont support koi very long . they can grow to 30" you would be better off with some goldfish varieties...if you get sarassas they look quite a bit like koi, but are a more managable size, shubunkins would be a great option and the two coexist peacably. these fish wont produce the waste of a koi either making water quality easier to manage. for your pump and filter Lowes or Home Depot will have what you need i think if you want off the shelf equipment i would go with a pressurized filter you can bury them up to the top almost and locate them wherever you'd like. i use TetraPond pumps with great success.. 3 year warrenty and decent power draw.

FXM

Reaction score
I think the best thing to do is to post a few photos of the pond itself. This way, you folks will have a better idea of the dimensions. I really appreicate your quick response to my questions. I can't wait to have the pond up and running. I've always wanted a pond but never had the space. Now I have a great house, great yard, and a pond to boot.

F.X.

FXM

Reaction score
Here are a few TETRA Pump and Filter Products I researched. Are they any good? What is a bio-filter? How does it work? How often do you have to replace it? Where does it go? How do you connect the pump to it? What do you connect to the other end?

Sorry?
F.X.

Attachments

• TetDebris_4200.jpg
    TetDebris_4200.jpg
    13.4 KB · Views: 283
  • Tet26549.jpg
    Tet26549.jpg
    3.8 KB · Views: 243
  • PF123.jpg
    PF123.jpg
    15.9 KB · Views: 293

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
the one in the middle is a pressure filter, this would be a good choice, it has backwash which makes cleaning a breeze...and you can bury it up to the green, and the ofx pumps are fantastic

Reaction score
avoid those particular biofilters like the plague. They are very hard to open, clean and always leak.

Look at a Laguna Pressure Filter and matching pump. They are workhorses, use very little wattage and are easy to clean. Not sure what size pond you really have in gallons, but take a look at something like the Laguna Pressure Flo filters that are bigger than what your gallonage is, and look at the matching max-flo pump. These come in a cage and can handle some solids.

PM DoDad, I'm not sure if he sells this brand. But he might be able to score you a deal on something that would work.

Koiguy is right tho...koi won't last long in a pond that small...

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I do highly recommend my mag drive Pondmaster 24 pump. I've had it for 10 yrs and it's still working just fine. http://www.pondmaster.com/ I just bought a smaller one that I can use to drain off some of the pond while cleaning and still keep my other one in the filter at the same time. I forgot to mention I bought mine at Big Als as they had a pretty reasonable price compared to some places and they had free shipping also.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
FXM said:
Here are a few TETRA Pump and Filter Products I researched. Are they any good? What is a bio-filter? How does it work? How often do you have to replace it? Where does it go? How do you connect the pump to it? What do you connect to the other end?

Sorry?
F.X.

first what is a bio filter? a biofilter is a controlled enviroment where beneficial bacteria colonizes and brakes down organics (DOCs dissolved organic compounds) it first draws ammonias takes the ammonias and brakes them down to nitrites then the nitrites to nitrates. once they're nitrates the plants can use them as food. the filter and plants complete the natural cycle known as nitrification. its just done in a controlled enviroment. the pressure filters allow for easy cleaning..but in exchange you need to run a larger pump to efficiently use, and even more so,to backwash the filter, because unlike gravity filters they cause resistance to water flow. i use tetrapond pumps i have 3 of them..very reliable, and a 3 year warranty...the pump you were looking at is a solids handling pump. but i wont critique equipment i havent used.
connections? your pump will sit at or near the bottom of the pond and pump the water up to the filters inlet as it flows thru the filter it will first off be mechanically filtered, trapping solids and floating particulates(suspended particles).then it goes to the biological filtration where the water passes thru the bacterial colony and is processed biologically, at a cellular level.. then its returned to the pond. this cycle repeats itself over and over as the pump continuously circulates your ponds water.

Ask a Question