Can someone diagnose this goldfish issue?

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I'm currently got a comet in a salt bath to help overcome some fin rot, and now iv noticed another new comet (1 week old) has two abrasions on his side. One just behind the gills and one further back. Is it in infection or has it simply scraped against something sharp.
It looks like a popped pimple (eww)
I have him in a bucket of salt too now which I hope will help fix it up, but does anyone have any ideas as to what it is?

2239031b.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Well, it's kind of hard to tell from the pic and description what's going on. Is he missing scales where the white is? Is the white stuff "fuzzy"? Are they bumps similar to an ulcer? A pic that is more clear would help (although I know it's not easy snapping a pic of a moving fish!)

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Unfortunately, even with a good pic it's very hard to diagnose a illness/injury. But some clearer pics would greatly help. If good quality water and a salt bath haven'y helped by now, a good antibiotic like tetracyline, or a good quality antibacterial food. It's a good idea to keep internal and external medicated food on hand, these work great as long as the fish is still eating, but in many cases once you have to order or go locate the short time frame where the fish will still eat may have passed. For any treatment to be effective it most be able to get in the fish to be able to help. This is why treating a whole pond isn't a good idea, you have to use large amounts of medication in order to hopefully get a small amount in the effected fish. Try posting better pics, get the best quality water possible, try a .2-.3% salt bath and if possible and the fish is still eating get some medicated food, It doesn't appear to be a parasite so stay with non-parasite medications.

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies, I will use a better camera to try to get some clearer sharper photos. And I will try the medication you suggested. He is still eating and behaving as normal so hopefully all will be ok.

Ask a Question