Can someone help me please

Reaction score
I went into the garage to check up on my goldfish and one of the larger sarrassa comets is floating on it's side on the surface of the water but is still alive, I examined it's body and I don't see any damage at all on the outside and all my other fish are perfectly normal and I'm really upset because it was such a beautiful fish and I know that there is no fin damage and no scale damage, nothing at all....it just dosent make sense to me....I don't see a reason for quarantine and I don't have a tank for it but I'm just wondering how is it possible that he got like this?, I have other smaller fish who I have had for a shorter time and they are all normal and I'm just really upset about all of this like really really upset.

Reaction score
This is the second fish this week but the dIfference is that the other fish was a sudden death and this one is showing signs of a problem

Reaction score
yeah i think i will go tommorrow and get it checked out...i just burried it and i actually got quite upset, too upset to flush it i had to give it a proper burrial under the apple tree and i think for the first time i was actually really upset about a fish dying like almost to tears....if it was one of my first four fish that died i would have been really really upset and most likely cried

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Get your water tested, but also get a test kit talal, so you can keep track of the levels. They are not real expensive and will really help you. The water can turn bad on you with no real indication until your fish die.

I had a ph problem, was not aware that it would swing like it did, and managed to kill goldies, just feeders, but still upsetting. Now test the water routinely.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Oh man talal I didn't want to hear any more bad news about your fish that I know you love dearly. I hope you get your water tested and can help the rest of the fish to stay well :regular_waving_emot

Reaction score
addy1 said:
Get your water tested, but also get a test kit talal, so you can keep track of the levels. They are not real expensive and will really help you. The water can turn bad on you with no real indication until your fish die.

I had a ph problem, was not aware that it would swing like it did, and managed to kill goldies, just feeders, but still upsetting. Now test the water routinely.
I will get a kit for sure, I don't want to go through this again.
stroppy said:
also how often do you do water changes and how many fish have you got in your tank
I do 20%-30% water changes every week and I have 10 goldfish between 1.5" and 4" and 1 koi about 5-7"
j.w said:
Oh man talal I didn't want to hear any more bad news about your fish that I know you love dearly. I hope you get your water tested and can help the rest of the fish to stay well :lol:
Thank you j.w, today I didn't see any problems with the fish at all and all look well...I'm thinking that it was just his time to go lol, I guess freak deaths just come but like it's weird that more then 1 died so it could not have been like that.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
hi talal, When you were posting about all the food you gave your fish in your tank it was predictable that your ammonia level was going to spike once they went into the new pond hence my questioning that they were being fed 4 times a day. Really less is more. Don't feed them until your pond fully cycles. A new pond or just cleaned pond is actually very treacherous until it cycles. Also oxygen deprivation will kill a fish overnight. Do you have any airstones or waterfalls? We have all learned from our mistakes. I have probably made more than most because I started out knowing nothing about fish or ponds.Good luck and don't buy anymore fish until you get everything worked out.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
I feed mine once at 5:00 every day, no more... They have been fine with this schedule and are all healthy and growing.

Reaction score
You know I had my head so deep in trying to grow my fish big fast that I forgot about watching water quality yesterday my koi turned red and I freaked out and did a major water change and didn't feed today and its turning back to normal slowly hopefully it will go back to normal in the next couple days
Thanks for reminding me of this

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
lol talal, glad you are getting all back in shape.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Glad to hear Talal and go easy on the food and just let them catch bugs or worms as they fall into the pond for awhile. The fish will not starve and water quality will get better :regular_waving_emot

Reaction score
Thanks guys, today the koi is nearly back to normal with a slight redness to the scales but nothing near how it was before...that is a good sigh. And now I can breath a sigh of relief

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
hi talal101, good to hear about your koi. I have't fed my fish yet this year. I am going to wait to the end of May. The seem pretty excited about all the algae they keep nibbling on and they are getting a few bugs too, especially my frog. I keep a few lights on my pond at night. They makes it look nice and the light attracts bugs for them to snack on.

Ask a Question