Can someone tell them the stages of Filtration.

Reaction score
I've read several stages and I would like to know which goes 1st, 2nd and so on.

I have hopes of building a 2500+ gal pond soon, so I would love to read up on more information.

Is there such a thing as too much filtration?

What's involved in creating a "natural" filtration system?

Can a Bio-filtration system coexist with a natural filtration system?

Thanks for your time.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
First...no there is no such thing as to much filter. the stages of filtration are simple
#1 mechanical... the physical removal of debri thru the trapping of debris in filtering media as water is flowed thru it.
#2chemical...filter media such as activated carbon matting, nuetralizes some chemical toxins, and absorbs others. zeolite, activated carbon, and ph stabilizers can be included in this catagorie.
#3 biological... this is by far the most important filtration. this the colonization of live bacteria, and enzimes that feed on the waste products of both fish and dead plant matter, the larger the filter, or at least the quantity of media for the bacteria to colonize on is the biggest factor in maintaining a desirable enviorment for your fish.that said, plants dont fall into this catagorie,but just playing their role in the food chain, feeding on alot of the same nutrients as the bacteria, the bacteria just take it a step further. bio,and veggy(plant) are 100% natural filtration..the biofilter just contains it in a controled enviorment.
i hope my explaination was adequate.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
My apologies i misstated in the earlier post the plants take it a step further by using the nutrients that the bacteria provided them in its function of breaking down toxins like ammonia, and nitrates, into nitrates that the plants feed on.
sorry for the oversight

Reaction score
look into bog filtration
its basically a "veggy" filter set up/concentrated in one area of the pond instead of through out the pond

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
actually bogs are usually a small off shoot pond or stream between the filter and the main pond, the water flows thru the bog, and the plants feed on the nutrients provided by the biofilter doing its work,they will work without a biofilter but not as well,as the nutrients are not as bioaccessable (absorbed).bare root plants and loosely planted in gravel plants have the easiest time pulling nutrients so are quite effective. you could call this stage #4.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
damn,i should think out my answers, or check them better before posting... i meant to say...bogs are usually more effective when they are an off shoot, but swtill work in the main pond as long as water flows thru the area. the denser the vegetation the better.it was late...sorry!!

Reaction score
does anyone have pictures of their filtration system i think it would help the OP and who ever else needs ideas for filtration out
this is what mine looks like...i want to upgrade
coast2coast7390

this is when my pond was saltwater
coast2coast7390

underneath the filter pads/cartridges is about 30 gallons of bio balls

Reaction score
I have a bog idea that will be in place next to a steam that will go into the main pond.

It started raining today here in SoCal and it's here to stay for 3 days. That's good though, we need more rain water and it helps clean the air. This will also help settle the dirt.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
rain...i wish!!! i see 2 feet of snow outside my window right now. are you running the stream as an offshoot from your waterfall? or as a spring fed looking one, you know, just emmerges out of the ground?

Reaction score
It's been raind hard the last 2 days. It's speratic but when it pours it pours.
Too bad my pond didn't have a liner in. That would be a nice way to fill up the pond don't ya think? BTW I'm in Burbank, where Walt Disney originally wanted to build the Happiest Place on Earth.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
A modified version of the Skippy style bio filter using a 55 gallon drum provides all the filtration you need. If you search this forum, you will find lots of information on how to build it.

Ask a Question