Can they die??

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi, a question came to mind the other day as I was continuing to incorporate an ecterior bog filter to my waterfall. I have a small backyard pond. Its around 12' by 7' by 36" deep. I made my own biofilter using a 5 gallin square bucket to which also acts as my waterfall weir and its been working fine. I recently decided to create a bog filter utilizing a 150 gallon stock tank that i will incorporate behind the existing waterfall allowing me to expand it and thus eliminating the current 5 gallon bio filter. I left enough liner when i first built it cause i knew someday Id want to make my waterfall bigger. So...when complete, the 3500 gph pump which is placed in the middle of the pond, will pump water into this 150 gallon tank which is now a bog filter and will flow out creating my waterfall flowing back into the pond. Now....my question...during the initial startup of this bog filter, the pump will remove 150 gallons from my pond and fill the bog before flowing back into the pond. And I assume this will cause my pond to significantlly lower the water level. Will the absence of the established bio filter cause a shock to the pond since im eliminating the bacteria that was in the bio filter? I mean the new bog filter has no bacteria in it yet ad its brand new. Will this cause my fish to go into shock?and what happens when i replenish the water when i bring it back up to level? Wont this disturb the chemistry?

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
What are you using now for your bio media in the 5 gallon bucket? Is there any way you can incorporate this bio media into the bog substrate?

Reaction score
Country
United States
The bio filter consists of ceramic "macaroni" followed by various filters. I placed batting at the very top as a last buffering before it flows out. Although there is muck at the bottom of the filter and Im guessing the ceramic is established, i just doubt its nowhere near enough to just dump in a huge 150 stock tank. And then im assuming i'll have to replenish the water to the pond thats been pumped into the new bog filter. What little bacteria the ceramic is holding may just get diluted.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
The rest of your pond surfaces are also colonized by bacteria, and they will quickly establish in your bog as well. Can you replenish your water over a few days rather than all at once? I would also hold off on feeding for a few days and test your water twice a day.

Reaction score
Country
United States
The rest of your pond surfaces are also colonized by bacteria, and they will quickly establish in your bog as well. Can you replenish your water over a few days rather than all at once? I would also hold off on feeding for a few days and test your water twice a day.
I suppose that would work. I think I'll try that. Thank you

Ask a Question