Can water Hyacinth be winterized?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I doubt that water Hyacinth can be stored dry for any length of time, but has anyone ever try bringing them indoor for the winter?

I'm trying to winterize as many kind of water plants I can, so that I no longer have to risk adding unwanted elements (bugs...diseases... ) the following year

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I remember someone on here who did it. I think they had it in an aquarium w/light warmth and by a south window. Maybe they will see this and pop up.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I brought one in, I have it in water on my kitchen table, that's where I put my Taro when I get it back out in January, and it does beautifully until it can go outdoor (4-5 months ) so I'm going to try it

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Hey yeah what can it hurt to try it. As long as it stays alive and even looks yucky it will make a big comeback in the Spring/Summer.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
So what's your secret @sissy ?
smpopcorn.gif

MoonShadows

The Jam Man
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I bought hyacinths in the early Spring that did nothing. I was told "wait until the water heats up". Still nothing, Now, we are at the end of the summer with day time temps in the 70's and night time temps in the 40's to 50's, and my hyacinths are growing like mad. I am thinking of taking some and setting them up in a 10 gallon aquarium with 2 feeder fish for the winter.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I think @sissy is off taking care of some serious family situations right now.

@MoonShadows I remember whoever wintered them said they need plenty of light and I assume warmth.

I found these posts online and sounds like good rich composty dirt might be the answer:

pondmaninal(7b)

Another member of this forum planted hers in dirt and stored them in the basement under grow lights. I think they survived as she had some this year. She is in Missouri.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

frankielynnsie(7B)
I have wintered mine over for the last 17 yrs. I pick off 4 or 5 babies, and 5 other delicate plants in pots and put them in the sunroom on top of a table in a clear plastic tub that is about 6 inches deep, 2 1/2 ft x 1 1/2 ft or so size. Fill with water and top off during the winter. They are tiny when spring comes but grow like crazy when put back into the pond-every year they take over the pond and many have to go to 'the pile'. The tub is crammed with plants and roots and last year somehow there was a little goldfish in there come spring. I didn't know he was there so he never got fed or anything. It doesn't cost anything to try it.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

meyermike_1micha(5)
Ps..Hi Linda:)))

After some research on these plants, I have learned they are like weeds in many parts of the world. Not easy to over winter and cheap enough to buy each spring.

But many have had success planting them a rich composty mix in a container then submerged into water that almost touches the rim of the pot. Sort of the way you would treat indoor bog plants. They require rich nutrients, especially potash to stay healthy. They are nutrient hoggers which explains why many probably fail at keeping them healthy all winter and why they help with keeping your ponds algae clean.

I think I will try one like this in a very bright window this winter now.

Mike
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Here's where I found the info:
http://forums2.gardenweb.com/discussions/1587875/water-hyacinth-overwinter-indoor

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I've tried overwintering various plants and just found it was more effort that it was worth. I don't have a great place to put plants, so that's the biggest issue. And to me, water hyacinths are so cheap to buy that it would take more in electricity and water to keep them alive than to buy a new one - because that's all I need it one!

I get your point about adding your own plants to avoid bugs and whatnot, but you can clean the roots before they go in the pond. A good rinse in some H2O2 should take care of most anything that might be of concern.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
It's the Challenge for some, they just have to try it and see if they can win. Not me I gave up on Water Hyacinth a long time ago. They do not like my pond.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
@j.w thank you for taking the time to research this for me!
@MoonShadows I've had water Hyacinth every year but one, I don't know why some years they get huge and others they stay tiny, but I think they still do good for the pond even when they don't seem to grow much
@Lisak1 I've already have one in water, so I just have to try it, I feed it MiracleGrow like I did with my Taro, so far it seems ok

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
It's the Challenge for some, they just have to try it and see if they can win. Not me I gave up on Water Hyacinth a long time ago. They do not like my pond.
Another reason why I try saving plants, is cause doing this allows me to start out with much larger plants than what I would buy

I brought in a baby spider palm as well for the first time, I really hope I can save and propagate, that would mean never have to buy pond plants again!
smpraying.gif

Ask a Question