Can ya'll please critique my prefilter design

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
I desperately need to replace my current prefilter. The current one is a small trashcan (17" high and 14" diameter) and it is not working. I've tried everything, to include trying to make a "swirler' for it and debris keeps getting through and clogs the pump impeller. The filter is buried and is placed between the BD and pump.

Would ya'll mind looking at these pictures and telling me what you think.

Thanks.

Attachments

• 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    109.1 KB · Views: 285
  • 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    90.3 KB · Views: 296
  • 005.JPG
    005.JPG
    97.4 KB · Views: 311
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
I guess I should add that pic 1 is the filter media (the pvc attached to the top is for me to lift it out to rinse; pic 2 is the inside of the box and pic 3 shows the media inside the box. This box is 18x14x9 and will be buried.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Here is a picture of my pond. You can see the current prefilter on the right hand side.

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    114.3 KB · Views: 274

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
WHAT I I CAN SAY IS... THAT WATER PREFERS THE PATH OF LEAST RESISTANCE.. SO IF YOUR FILTER PADS DONT HIT THE WALLS OF THE ENCLOSURE, WHICH TO ME IT LOOKS LIKE THEY WONT DO TO THE PLASTIC FENCING MATERIAL STICKING OUT PAST THE ENDS OF THE MEDIA. ALOT OF DEBRIS WILL SLIP PAST ALONG THE GAPS BETWEEN THE MEDIA AND WALLS....CORRECT ME IF I AM WRONG....

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Agree koiguy, the filter material needs to be tight against the sides to stop the flow of muck.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
I ALSO WILL ADD.... the larger the pads the better they'll work. a good prefilter should have large pads with the draw thru them dispersed over the full area, the more concentrated the 'pull or suction' flow of water. the more it increases the vaccuum force in wich the water is drawn thru the media. this force break can down the debris into smaller debris, and softer debris like fish poop are easily pulled thru and creamed or slurried. ...i do hope i explained that well enough to get my point across.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Thanks for the responses. Yep, koiguy, I get your point, lol. Ya'll are right about the filter media not being tight against the sides and I will get some larger pads. I'm glad I asked before I replaced the old filter with this. We started our pond rebuild this time last year and I am trying to tweak all of the problems. It's very frustrating for me because my husband did the plumbing, etc. and he did it his way, not the way I asked him to do it. For example, he absolutely refused to do the turns in the pvc pipes with 2 45 degree turns, they are 90 degrees - this caused a major problem when the irrigation tubing I am using in the 55 gallon barrels got stuck in the pvc pipes going from the barrels to the waterfall. He also insisted on making the flush valve for the barrels with a 3/4" spigot - did not work. He also told me last night that the reason the pond is green is because of "all that junk" I have in the barrels, as my daughter would say, shaking my head. Thus far, I've poured a concrete pad for the barrels, changed the flush valves on the barrels and raised the outflow level from the barrels to the waterfall. This prefilter is the last thing I have to do. Sorry so long, just needed to vent, lol.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Riparks, yes venting IS allowed! We dug our "hole" over the weekend with a rented mini-excavator. I spent 2 hours [thank goodness for the machine] filling & packing soil (aka: clay) that hubby dug out 'cause he didn't get the concept of digging in layers to leave a shelf! Don't know, is that just a "guy" thing?

BTW, thanks for your post. Helps me with an idea I have.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Well, I am getting ready to dig out my old filter. I don't know why, but I am extremely apprehensive about doing this. Wish me luck.

Glad I could help with your idea Mmathis.

Ask a Question