Can you chime in on spawning behavior in goldfish?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
My pond is still kind of "young," and the fish are about 6 and 7" long. I know there was "action" last year, since I have double the number of fish. But with them being more social, larger, and more visible, I'm seeing some things and I wonder if it has to do with spawning.
Can you guys describe some of the behaviors you notice?

I have one fish who appears healthy, but is doing a lot of resting under the waterfall area, where the circulation is flowing fast. I saw a fish do this last year as well. They go there and stay there a long time. Hiding from the other fish?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Could very well be. You'll generally see one or more fish pursuing a single fish for hours - chasing it everywhere it goes in the pond. One may leave off chasing and then another will join in. They are more interested in that one fish than they are in anything else going on. And yes, the fish being pursued may try to find a spot to rest. Goldfish aren't quite as "rambunctious" as koi though - when koi spawn, you can't miss it. It's a sight, sound, and smell that can't be mistaken for anything else.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
I watched them for a while today. POOR GIRLS! There was totally spawning stuff happening today. Several fish chasing one like crazy. I felt bad for her! And don't get me started on the squirrels in my yard. Spring has sprung all over the place and these squirrels have issues. They need some counseling. Every time I look outside, there are the exhibitionist squirrels...

Ask a Question