Can you convert a 20 gal STAND to fit a 30 gal tank?

Discussion in 'Indoor tanks' started by Mmathis, Jul 18, 2016.

1. Mmathis

Mmathis TurtleMommy

I have a stand for a 20 gal (standard size) tank. I want to get a 30 gal tank, but would like to adapt the 20-stand to fit. Would it be safe to put a piece of plywood (or something similar) on the stand, the size of the tank, to place the larger tank on?

@bettasngoldfish

Mmathis, Jul 18, 2016
    1. Advertisements

2. Mmathis

bettasngoldfish Maria

Just need to clarify the size of the tank you want and the stand you already have (in general it's not a good idea to use aquarium stands for other than what they are made due to weight distribution and weight)

Here is a list of aquarium dimensions (keep in mind there are other sizes available) http://www.aquariumcarebasics.com/aquarium-dimensions/

bettasngoldfish, Jul 18, 2016
    Mmathis and Gordo33 like this.
    1. Advertisements

3. Mmathis

Gordo33

[QUOTE="bettasngoldfish, post: 312911, (in general it's not a good idea to use aquarium stands for other than what they are made due to [/QUOTE]
    If the glass is inside a rim the rim takes the weight of the tank with the highest pressure points at the corners. You want to have the support legs under the corners. If not any bowing in the ply wood would create uneven pressure points and potential leaks. If your stand is wood you can modify it.
    I have recently built stands for 30 and 125 gal tanks. The Web site I found my info had disaster stories from DIY stands NOT following certain guidelines. If you are interested I can dig up my source.

Gordo33, Jul 18, 2016
    Mmathis likes this.
  4. Mmathis

Meyer Jordan Tadpole

I was thinking along the same lines. Will the 20 gallon stand support the weight of a 30 gallon aquarium (about 90 additional pounds)?

Meyer Jordan, Jul 18, 2016
    Mmathis likes this.
  5. Mmathis

Mmathis TurtleMommy

Thanks to all. I was thinking along all of those lines, but wanted to verify. Also, wanted to have the ammo to throw at hubby (just kidding) when he suggests we convert this stand -- I haven't broached the subject with him yet.

Mmathis, Jul 18, 2016
    bettasngoldfish likes this.
  6. Mmathis

bettasngoldfish Maria

Have you given any thought to setting up some type of stock tank in your house? (It would give you the most room at the lowest cost) that is assuming you have somewhere to put it.

Mmathis likes this.
  7. Mmathis

Mmathis TurtleMommy

Have no where to put it.....good idea, though.

Mmathis, Jul 18, 2016
  8. Mmathis

bettasngoldfish Maria

Maggie keep in mind that long tanks are better for the fish than high tanks. I have a 30 gallon long that I love (I also have a 29 gallon which is tall) the 30 gallon is so much nicer to work in as it is not as deep and it is longer giving the fish more swimming room.

Marshall likes this.
  9. Mmathis

Dave 54

Personally Maggie stick the tank on an old sideboard or somthing along those lines from a charity shop outlet , being old it wont mater about water damage but will be strong enough to take the weight

Dave

Dave 54, Jul 18, 2016
  10. Mmathis

bettasngoldfish Maria

Be very careful using furniture that isn't made specifically for aquariums (especially anything over 10 gallons) once filled up with water, substrate, decor they get very heavy.

Mmathis and Meyer Jordan like this.
  11. Mmathis

Marshall Aquatic Turtle Rescue & Adoption

Weight is going to be the real issue. A 20 gallon stand would be designed to obviously safely hold 20 gallons of water weight so maybe the extra ten would be okay but I would recommend you figure out the weight of your 30 gall plus tanks own empty weight and try to test it with something that is not water as 30 gallons of water are usually not desirable in the living room floor etc

Marshall, Jul 19, 2016
    Mmathis likes this.
  12. Mmathis

I personally think 30 gallon tanks are useless unless it is a space issue because a 40 is dimension in the same pattern as a 75 which is much more cubical and less of a rectangle. My turtles and fish alike seem to like the more cubical because they can swim about the same distance in any direction without "bottlenecking" in the narrow space. PS: 40 as in the "stock" sized format. I'm sure they make others but the ones I speak of are pretty cheap and easy to come by.

Marshall, Jul 19, 2016
    Nepen likes this.
  13. Mmathis

PS: If you want a 40 gallon tank I have about 6 of them in the shed :D the turtles long ago outgrew them so no real motive to set them up again.

Marshall, Jul 19, 2016
  14. Mmathis

Linus_Cello

It may be ok. Stands should account for extra weight from gravel/rock decoration. But why risk it when craigslist has cheap stands?

Linus_Cello, Jul 19, 2016
  15. Mmathis

Mmathis TurtleMommy

I haven't decided on a tank size yet. Initially I was going to use my 20 and now am thinking that it will be too small in the long-run. That's why I was thinking of going up to at least a 30-ish gal tank. It's for a goldfish [Watonai] that's about 4-5" long with a tail close to that same length. This guy is going to be an indoor pet and not go back in the pond.

@bettasngoldfish Yes, a "long" tank vs deep tank is better due mainly to the amt of surface area for gas exchange, but you are SO right about being able to work in it!

@Marshall Why do you say that a 30 gal is worthless? Oh, and next time you are down this way, sure I'll take a few of those 40 gals off your hands.

So, what do you guys think? Is 30 gal too small for the above-mentioned fish? What if I decided to give him a companion somewhere down the line.....?

@Dave 54 I'll keep that in mind as I'm searching, but as Maria said, sturdiness might be an issue. And, the biggest problem I've run across with stands is getting the darn things LEVEL, which might or might not be an issue with furniture pieces.

Mmathis, Jul 19, 2016
  16. Mmathis

Nepen

I have a 55 gallon and when I put 1 of my grown watonai in there I felt that it's about a good size. I can put about 2-3 in without feeling too crowded. You would want friends for it, wouldnt you ;) You can put some tropicals in there so the tank doesnt look empty too.

Nepen, Jul 19, 2016
    Mmathis likes this.
  17. Mmathis

Mmathis TurtleMommy

Believe it or not, I HAVE a 55 gal tank AND the stand for it. But the tank has been used for so many different things over the years [including the housing of my boxies for their first couple years of life] and I'd be afraid it might no longer be water-tight. What's the life-span of a glass tank? This one is about 25 years old. And then there is the space issue, which was the main reason I gave up on tropicals as the tank took up too much room [our house is kinda what you'd call, oh, junky-chic!].

Mmathis, Jul 19, 2016
  18. Mmathis

Nepen

try yo put water in there outside and let it sit for a week :) see if the water leaks or not!

Nepen, Jul 19, 2016
  19. Mmathis

bettasngoldfish Maria

I have a fifty five gallon with three adult oranda and I consider it full (of course they are heavy bodied and produce a lot of waste)

The common type goldfish would probably appreciate more swimming room the fifty five has to offer.

bettasngoldfish, Jul 19, 2016
    Marshall likes this.
  20. Mmathis

Not 'worthless' in a complete sense just useless in the context of moving up from a 20. I always like to double the size so from a 10 to a 20 to a 40 to a 75 etc etc. If it's all you have room for then yes a 30 is better than a 20 but if space allows a 40 is not that much more expensive and in some cases may be cheaper due to the popularity of the 40 gal size means less overhead for the retailer.

Marshall, Jul 19, 2016
    Mmathis likes this.
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question