Can you convert a 20 gal STAND to fit a 30 gal tank?

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I have a stand for a 20 gal (standard size) tank. I want to get a 30 gal tank, but would like to adapt the 20-stand to fit. Would it be safe to put a piece of plywood (or something similar) on the stand, the size of the tank, to place the larger tank on?

@bettasngoldfish

Reaction score
Country
United States
Just need to clarify the size of the tank you want and the stand you already have (in general it's not a good idea to use aquarium stands for other than what they are made due to weight distribution and weight)

Here is a list of aquarium dimensions (keep in mind there are other sizes available) http://www.aquariumcarebasics.com/aquarium-dimensions/

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a/b
Country
United States
[QUOTE="bettasngoldfish, post: 312911, (in general it's not a good idea to use aquarium stands for other than what they are made due to [/QUOTE]
If the glass is inside a rim the rim takes the weight of the tank with the highest pressure points at the corners. You want to have the support legs under the corners. If not any bowing in the ply wood would create uneven pressure points and potential leaks. If your stand is wood you can modify it.
I have recently built stands for 30 and 125 gal tanks. The Web site I found my info had disaster stories from DIY stands NOT following certain guidelines. If you are interested I can dig up my source.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I was thinking along the same lines. Will the 20 gallon stand support the weight of a 30 gallon aquarium (about 90 additional pounds)?

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Thanks to all. I was thinking along all of those lines, but wanted to verify. Also, wanted to have the ammo to throw at hubby (just kidding) when he suggests we convert this stand -- I haven't broached the subject with him yet.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Maggie keep in mind that long tanks are better for the fish than high tanks. I have a 30 gallon long that I love (I also have a 29 gallon which is tall) the 30 gallon is so much nicer to work in as it is not as deep and it is longer giving the fish more swimming room.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Personally Maggie stick the tank on an old sideboard or somthing along those lines from a charity shop outlet , being old it wont mater about water damage but will be strong enough to take the weight

Dave

Marshall

Turtle Keeper + CPL(H)
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 7b
Country
United States
I have a stand for a 20 gal (standard size) tank. I want to get a 30 gal tank, but would like to adapt the 20-stand to fit. Would it be safe to put a piece of plywood (or something similar) on the stand, the size of the tank, to place the larger tank on?

@bettasngoldfish
Weight is going to be the real issue. A 20 gallon stand would be designed to obviously safely hold 20 gallons of water weight so maybe the extra ten would be okay but I would recommend you figure out the weight of your 30 gall plus tanks own empty weight and try to test it with something that is not water as 30 gallons of water are usually not desirable in the living room floor etc

Marshall

Turtle Keeper + CPL(H)
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 7b
Country
United States
Maggie keep in mind that long tanks are better for the fish than high tanks. I have a 30 gallon long that I love (I also have a 29 gallon which is tall) the 30 gallon is so much nicer to work in as it is not as deep and it is longer giving the fish more swimming room.
I personally think 30 gallon tanks are useless unless it is a space issue because a 40 is dimension in the same pattern as a 75 which is much more cubical and less of a rectangle. My turtles and fish alike seem to like the more cubical because they can swim about the same distance in any direction without "bottlenecking" in the narrow space. PS: 40 as in the "stock" sized format. I'm sure they make others but the ones I speak of are pretty cheap and easy to come by.

Marshall

Turtle Keeper + CPL(H)
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 7b
Country
United States
PS: If you want a 40 gallon tank I have about 6 of them in the shed :D the turtles long ago outgrew them so no real motive to set them up again.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I haven't decided on a tank size yet. Initially I was going to use my 20 and now am thinking that it will be too small in the long-run. That's why I was thinking of going up to at least a 30-ish gal tank. It's for a goldfish [Watonai] that's about 4-5" long with a tail close to that same length. This guy is going to be an indoor pet and not go back in the pond.

@bettasngoldfish Yes, a "long" tank vs deep tank is better due mainly to the amt of surface area for gas exchange, but you are SO right about being able to work in it!

@Marshall Why do you say that a 30 gal is worthless? Oh, and next time you are down this way, sure I'll take a few of those 40 gals off your hands.

So, what do you guys think? Is 30 gal too small for the above-mentioned fish? What if I decided to give him a companion somewhere down the line.....?

@Dave 54 I'll keep that in mind as I'm searching, but as Maria said, sturdiness might be an issue. And, the biggest problem I've run across with stands is getting the darn things LEVEL, which might or might not be an issue with furniture pieces.

Ask a Question