Can you convert a 20 gal STAND to fit a 30 gal tank?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I haven't decided on a tank size yet. Initially I was going to use my 20 and now am thinking that it will be too small in the long-run. That's why I was thinking of going up to at least a 30-ish gal tank. It's for a goldfish [Watonai] that's about 4-5" long with a tail close to that same length. This guy is going to be an indoor pet and not go back in the pond.

@bettasngoldfish Yes, a "long" tank vs deep tank is better due mainly to the amt of surface area for gas exchange, but you are SO right about being able to work in it!

@Marshall Why do you say that a 30 gal is worthless? Oh, and next time you are down this way, sure I'll take a few of those 40 gals off your hands.

So, what do you guys think? Is 30 gal too small for the above-mentioned fish? What if I decided to give him a companion somewhere down the line.....?

@Dave 54 I'll keep that in mind as I'm searching, but as Maria said, sturdiness might be an issue. And, the biggest problem I've run across with stands is getting the darn things LEVEL, which might or might not be an issue with furniture pieces.
I have a 55 gallon and when I put 1 of my grown watonai in there I felt that it's about a good size. I can put about 2-3 in without feeling too crowded. You would want friends for it, wouldnt you ;) You can put some tropicals in there so the tank doesnt look empty too.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I have a 55 gallon and when I put 1 of my grown watonai in there I felt that it's about a good size. I can put about 2-3 in without feeling too crowded. You would want friends for it, wouldnt you ;) You can put some tropicals in there so the tank doesnt look empty too.
Believe it or not, I HAVE a 55 gal tank AND the stand for it. But the tank has been used for so many different things over the years [including the housing of my boxies for their first couple years of life] and I'd be afraid it might no longer be water-tight. What's the life-span of a glass tank? This one is about 25 years old. And then there is the space issue, which was the main reason I gave up on tropicals as the tank took up too much room [our house is kinda what you'd call, oh, junky-chic!].

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Believe it or not, I HAVE a 55 gal tank AND the stand for it. But the tank has been used for so many different things over the years [including the housing of my boxies for their first couple years of life] and I'd be afraid it might no longer be water-tight. What's the life-span of a glass tank? This one is about 25 years old. And then there is the space issue, which was the main reason I gave up on tropicals as the tank took up too much room [our house is kinda what you'd call, oh, junky-chic!].
try yo put water in there outside and let it sit for a week :) see if the water leaks or not!

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have a fifty five gallon with three adult oranda and I consider it full (of course they are heavy bodied and produce a lot of waste)

The common type goldfish would probably appreciate more swimming room the fifty five has to offer.

Marshall

Turtle Keeper + CPL(H)
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 7b
Country
United States
I haven't decided on a tank size yet. Initially I was going to use my 20 and now am thinking that it will be too small in the long-run. That's why I was thinking of going up to at least a 30-ish gal tank. It's for a goldfish [Watonai] that's about 4-5" long with a tail close to that same length. This guy is going to be an indoor pet and not go back in the pond.

@bettasngoldfish Yes, a "long" tank vs deep tank is better due mainly to the amt of surface area for gas exchange, but you are SO right about being able to work in it!

@Marshall Why do you say that a 30 gal is worthless? Oh, and next time you are down this way, sure I'll take a few of those 40 gals off your hands.

So, what do you guys think? Is 30 gal too small for the above-mentioned fish? What if I decided to give him a companion somewhere down the line.....?

@Dave 54 I'll keep that in mind as I'm searching, but as Maria said, sturdiness might be an issue. And, the biggest problem I've run across with stands is getting the darn things LEVEL, which might or might not be an issue with furniture pieces.
Not 'worthless' in a complete sense just useless in the context of moving up from a 20. I always like to double the size so from a 10 to a 20 to a 40 to a 75 etc etc. If it's all you have room for then yes a 30 is better than a 20 but if space allows a 40 is not that much more expensive and in some cases may be cheaper due to the popularity of the 40 gal size means less overhead for the retailer.

Marshall

Turtle Keeper + CPL(H)
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 7b
Country
United States
I have a fifty five gallon with three adult oranda and I consider it full (of course they are heavy bodied and produce a lot of waste)

The common type goldfish would probably appreciate more swimming room the fifty five has to offer.
I have a 55 too that I use as a quarantine or medical holding tank for bulk medications where I need a temp space to hold 4 or more turtles to administer meds without having to dilute it in the 150 gallon or especially the 20,000 gallon rescue tank. More water usually means more med needed so it saves money.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom

Many moons ago we used a 1970's style TV stand / bookstand of a very sturdy cunstruction bought by the method I had previosly stated and plonked a 4 x 18 x 12 fish tank on it said it lasted us years, well until we bought 2x 2 x 2 x 2 fish tanks and wooden stands [one which now has a new life as a table] There was no need to level the cheap second hand 4 ft tank stand because of the exelant workmanship they did back then.
We then sold that stand on tto a friend who stripped it and re-varnished it for a client.
Its a cheap but strong and sturdy option should you take it Maggie:happy:

Dave

Reaction score
Country
United States
@Mmathis I got an email from Petco a few days ago about their dollar per gallon aquarium sale (now thru 8-6-16) Would be a good time to get a new tank at a great price.

I talked to my hubby last night and explained how I really needed to pick up another tank while the sale was on. Guess who's going to get a 40 gallon breeder this weekend? :D

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
@Mmathis I got an email from Petco a few days ago about their dollar per gallon aquarium sale (now thru 8-6-16) Would be a good time to get a new tank at a great price.

I talked to my hubby last night and explained how I really needed to pick up another tank while the sale was on. Guess who's going to get a 40 gallon breeder this weekend? :D

Maria I dont know , you perhaps ? :happy:

Dave

morewater

President, Raccoon Haters International
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
I have a stand for a 20 gal (standard size) tank. I want to get a 30 gal tank, but would like to adapt the 20-stand to fit. Would it be safe to put a piece of plywood (or something similar) on the stand, the size of the tank, to place the larger tank on?

@bettasngoldfish

Here's a good analogy.

My trailer is rated for 3000lbs, do you think it'd be okay if I loaded it with 3900lbs of stone?

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Here's a good analogy.

My trailer is rated for 3000lbs, do you think it'd be okay if I loaded it with 3900lbs of stone?
No, but if you do manage it, you can drive it down my way as I'm ALWAYS looking for rocks! Just kidding, and that is a good analogy.

I finally got the 20 gal tank cleaned up and filled, and Mr. Goldfish is in his new home! In the meantime, I'll watch for sales of larger tank stands so I'll have something to upgrade to in the future.

Ask a Question