Can you glue a new liner over old

DES

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a wildlife pond in our garden, built quite a few years ago by previous owners. There is a rubber liner which is built in under a wall on two sides and under coping stones on the other side. Last year we were losing water and found a couple of holes in the liner which we repaired. All went well until recently when the we started losing water at a steady rate. What we need to know is could we glue a new rubber liner to the existing liner? Due to the existing liner being built in under the walls it would be virtually impossible to remove or to fit a new liner in under the walls. We don't think the leak is on the bottom of the pond as the water drops by about 6 inches quite quickly but then seems to stay at that height. Any advice very gratefully received.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
The new liner could be attached to the walls. I know of no other way of attaching a new liner that would offer any integrity against leaks.

Reaction score
Once the level drops to as low as it will go (wait at east a week) drop it down another 6" or so and examine the complete pond above that area. Feel the area with your hand to see if you can find any bumps underneath which might be causing the problem. If you don't feel anything then what caused the leaks? Unless the liner is deteriorated from old age there must be something causing your problem. If its deteriorating then patching the leak will only be a temporary fix. You can glue a patch on but the area has to be super clean.

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
Oase Unifix

Oase UniFix+ formerly EPDM Fix is a power adhesive which bonds virtually anything to virtually anything.
UniFix offers tremendous bonding force on different substrates, such as stone, metal, plastic etc
Particularly well suited for bonding EPDM, rubber as well as PVC pond liner.

I have used it, takes awhile to cure. Also cures underwater.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Hi DES, Welcome! Just wondering if you have pumps and filters if you checked the hoses really good. I had a hard to find liner leak last year. I recut all my hose ends even though they didn't need it and my leak stopped!

Ask a Question