Can you help fix my pond? Cement render repair advice needed.

Reaction score
Hi, I partially emptied my pond this morning as it was leaking toward the top of a brick wall 60cm high. I syphoned the pond with the intention of applying a fresh sealing coat, but as is always the case, it is a bigger job than expected.

There were a number of fancy tiles towards the top of the pond and i noticed that these were the areas of weakness (they had been waterproofed but were damp behind). The tiles came away easily, and I have chipped away the loose cement and washed the area. I now have about 6 dinner plate sized holes in my cement render, exposing brick below.

Can I simply add more render to fill in the holes and, when cured, add the waterproof coating? I have a feeling that it may not be that easy (although I use the word "easy" lightly).

Thanks for taking a look at this

Gill

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
welcome and sorry I wish I knew more about cement ponds but here we use liners but maybe some one will be able to help you more .Sounds like you may have a big job ahead of you .I do know here they use a cement type brush on glue before they patch a hole in cement because most times cement does not stick to cement with out it . Not sure you may be able to look it up .

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
They make a coating for cement ponds, not cheap. I don't know much about them either.

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Good Luck fixing that cement pond, they just don't last as long a good liner, those that I did know that had cement ponds, they all seemed to have problems. I don't know too much about cement ponds as most people use a good rubber liner with a twenty year warrenty. :)

Reaction score
use chicken wire to hold the sides and then cover the chicken wire with cement this will make the cement to hold strong.and use jacuzzi type sealent on top this wiill perevent from water leakage. i am building a 2000 gallon cement water pond they look absolutely gorgeous.
GillB said:
Hi, I partially emptied my pond this morning as it was leaking toward the top of a brick wall 60cm high. I syphoned the pond with the intention of applying a fresh sealing coat, but as is always the case, it is a bigger job than expected.

There were a number of fancy tiles towards the top of the pond and i noticed that these were the areas of weakness (they had been waterproofed but were damp behind). The tiles came away easily, and I have chipped away the loose cement and washed the area. I now have about 6 dinner plate sized holes in my cement render, exposing brick below.

Can I simply add more render to fill in the holes and, when cured, add the waterproof coating? I have a feeling that it may not be that easy (although I use the word "easy" lightly).

Thanks for taking a look at this

Gill

Reaction score
I think something along the lines of a hydraulic cement followed with a waterproof coating would work for this application. This type of cement is designed to adhere to concert for patching holes in concrete walls since it expands as it dries it will fill the holes and adhere to you existing pond. As far as a sealant something like thoroseal should work well to seal it after the holes have been patched.

Reaction score
As a stucco contractor I work with concrete and masonry products all the time. Without seeing and knowing exactly what I am dealing with I can't give you any practical advice on what to do. Any sort of product that you attempt to patch with, even if it's the best product in the world, will likely not work very well, if at all, if you don't start with a solid foundation, prepare the surface properly, mix and apply it properly, and allow it to cure or set properly.

Just for educational purposes I'd like to clarify something because I hear misconceptions regarding this all the time. Basically all modern forms of cement are all "hydraulic cement", the term hydraulic simply means that it hardens by reacting with water. Portland cement and hydraulic cement are one in the same, and (both?) generally shrink slightly when they cure, however there are types of special cement blends that have ingredients that help them expand to some degree.

Ask a Question