Can you identyfy breed of koi please ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi moved into my home in september 2018 and inherited pond with mix of koi and goldfish. This is new to me and want to continue to keep them. There is so many types of koi out there and would like to know what I have. Sorry not great quality because light was dull. Thanks

Attachments

• 20190407_101331.jpg
    20190407_101331.jpg
    154.7 KB · Views: 132
  • 20190407_101406.jpg
    20190407_101406.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 152
  • 20190407_101222.jpg
    20190407_101222.jpg
    182.5 KB · Views: 132

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome to our forum. I don't know koi or koi types but others do.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Like @addy1 I don't know one type of koi from another, but I doubt anyone can tell you much from those photos. You could google "types of koi" and find a chart that will list the varieties with descriptions - I think there are something like 12 or 13 distinct patterns that are listed.

I can tell you that some koi are just, well, koi. Most pond koi are probably just garden variety pretty fish. The ones that carry distinctive patterns that allow them to be classified are generally hundreds (or even thousands) of dollars. But no matter what kind of fish you have, you will love them and enjoy spending time with them all the same!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Like @addy1 I don't know one type of koi from another, but I doubt anyone can tell you much from those photos. You could google "types of koi" and find a chart that will list the varieties with descriptions - I think there are something like 12 or 13 distinct patterns that are listed.

I can tell you that some koi are just, well, koi. Most pond koi are probably just garden variety pretty fish. The ones that carry distinctive patterns that allow them to be classified are generally hundreds (or even thousands) of dollars. But no matter what kind of fish you have, you will love them and enjoy spending time with them all the same!
Thanks, yes I agree the photos are not great. It's cold and damp today on the UK and they having really been doing much. Water temp is 6c so not eating yet either.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
If you check online for koi varieties you may be able to identify for yourself if you have any specific color patterns - you know best what your fish look like in real life. It's difficult to photograph fish well in the pond - even on a sunny day you get reflections off the water that make it difficult to see. That's why koi are judged in blue bowls - best to show off their colors and patterns!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
If you check online for koi varieties you may be able to identify for yourself if you have any specific color patterns - you know best what your fish look like in real life. It's difficult to photograph fish well in the pond - even on a sunny day you get reflections off the water that make it difficult to see. That's why koi are judged in blue bowls - best to show off their colors and patterns!
Oh cool. I have a lot to learn. Yes been looking at pictures but there are so many ! Can't wait until they start to feed and become active

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
the Only variety I can id is standard vrs long fin aka butterfly. This is a good place to learn what you’ll need for their upkeep and health, and such, so welcome and enjoy.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
the Only variety I can id is standard vrs long fin aka butterfly. This is a good place to learn what you’ll need for their upkeep and health, and such, so welcome and enjoy.
Thank you jamie. Rounds lots of interesting threads already.

Ask a Question