Can you kick start a filter pump?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The experts say that immersed filter pumps take weeks to start working properly because the good bacteria have to build up (I've got two mistrals with UV all in one...please don't tell me you can a cream for that...my youngest has already gave me that one with both barrels!).
Is it possible to kick start a filter pump by taking out the filter and introducing a load of bacteria somehow (my mind boggles thinking of the unleashed replies to that one!)..Or a bacterial accelerator ( and this one!...a mini catapult springs instantly to mind!)...seriously though there must be some way to speed up the process surely?

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Well, since your mind is already boggling, try this on for size: every morning take a wizz (discretely) in your pond! The ammonia will feed the bacteria, giving it a 'kickstart'. Or Google "fishless cycling" for more info. Don't waste your hard-earned Pounds on bacteria, without ammonia they don't survive anyway.
John

The PondFather

The PondFather with my Grandson enjoying my pond
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Get some pond water from an existing healthy pond, say even a few gallons. That will contain beneficial bacteria to help kick start your own biocycle. And a few fish have to be in the pond so their waste feed the bacteria. And of course commercial pond beneficial bacteria/pond starter will also kick start your nitrification cycle. Use a test kit to monitor ammonia and nitrites to learn when they fall to safe levels.

Smaug

God makes perfect. I just dug the hole
Reaction score
Country
United States
Just slowly start feeding and keep the pond extra clean during the transition time. I have only had a problem once and it was worse case all the way and lost 3 very nice fish to an early warm up . Just keep in mind there are really no nitrifying bacteria present in water,not even well established water. Trying to bring in aged filter material from another source is just a way to transfer pathogens or parasites and is not worth it.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
As Norman Meck, the guru emeritus of water quality once suggested---'Need bacteria? Throw in a shovel full of garden soil. You will have everything that you need.'

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I'm with @Meyer Jordan - garden soil (not dirt - soil) is teeming with bacteria. The good stuff. Use it for your pond plants or just toss some in - your pond will thank you!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
I'm with @Meyer Jordan - garden soil (not dirt - soil) is teeming with bacteria. The good stuff. Use it for your pond plants or just toss some in - your pond will thank you!
Theres a differnce ?
Are you talking as we call it top soil or bellow that Lisak1?

Dave

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
There is a difference. Soil is full of nutrients and microbes and organic matter. If you ball up a handful of good, rich soil it will feel moist and wonderful. Dirt is the stuff that is dry or rocky - boring old dirt. And yes soil generally makes up the topmost layer of the earth. Unless you live in a new development like mine, where the builder comes in and scrapes the top layer down (to sell, of course) leaving you with a yard full of dirt. In my case hard, red clay which we have spent 25 years amending so we can once again find actual soil in our gardens.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks to everyone who replied........some really good options to think about here.

Ask a Question