Can you name these frog calls?

Reaction score
Country
United States

1. I believe the metal ball bearing sound is a Blanchard's Cricket frog. It's not supposed to be this far east in Ohio, but that sure sounds like it. Have quite a few of them calling at the moment. Last year had a couple calling well into September.

2. The other call, which reminds me of "idjiot it," like as if they are constantly calling each other an "idjiot" (means stupid) is driving me nuts and has me stumped as none of the state (Ohio) frogs or toads sound like it. They call quite a bit whatever they are and dominate the video. If having a hard time hearing either, I suggest headphones.

Last edited:

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I had to listen hard to hear what you were talking about — your descriptions of the sounds they made were right-on. Unfortunately, I have no idea. I’m in Louisiana and we have different critters down here.

JRS

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Not much good at it myself but perhaps this might help:

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thank you for the link. I listened to all available sound clips there, and none matched. Interestingly, they didn't have the Blanchard's Cricket frog even listed.

Apparently, some frogs are rare and found only in small pockets of areas. It's possible the no.2 sound is an oddball that's not common, much like the Blanchard's, or maybe it's something else entirely? Sure sounds like a frog though. We get cicada's shedding all the time, but that's a one-off sound.

Anyone know of a frog dedicated forum?

JRS

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
The WI site says Blanchards is formerly Northern Cricket Frog Acris crepitans.

Wikipedia has it as a subspecies A.c. blanchardi

Perhaps the taxonomists are still sorting it out, lumpers vs. splitters?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Might be like Cope's tree frog vs. gray tree frog where someone eventually noticed differences or a sub variant manifested.

Far as I can tell, Blanchard's Cricket call sounds more like a ball bearing bouncing from a high drop, then bouncing faster as it rebounds less. The Northern cricket call while similar at first, takes on a more cricket-like sound that lasts longer.

Ask a Question