Can you rebuild a pump?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I am using an Alita AUP-250 Submersible 1/3 HP Pump and it started making a high pitched sound last year. It seems to be louder this year when I started it up. Is this something that can be fixed, can I rebuild it, or do I need to bite the bullet and spend over $300 to get a new one to get rid of the noise?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Their website has a 'contact us' link. I would as for technical assistance before tearing it apart. A high pitched sound is sometimes caused by a bad bearing. It could be something as simple as the impeller just needing cleaning but in any event I would contact Alita.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Their website has a 'contact us' link. I would as for technical assistance before tearing it apart. A high pitched sound is sometimes caused by a bad bearing. It could be something as simple as the impeller just needing cleaning but in any event I would contact Alita.
I did that, but haven't heard back from them. Thought I would throw it on here and see if anyone else has experience with it.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I know this sounds ridiculous, but is there a place for you to add/change lubricant oil on that pump? If so, check to see if that is the problem.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
It is submersable or above ground pump .The impeller could be rubbing against something inside .

Reaction score
Country
United States
The reason I asked about adding or changing oil is their statement:
"Double Silicon Carbide mechanical seals (impeller side) in lubricant chamber." This leads me to believe there is a lubrication problem. I would also go to sites that discuss aquaculture and plumbing to see if anyone on there can offer a suggestion.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5B
Country
Canada
Best place to start is pull out the pump and remove tor openhe impeller section if you can to clean it out. Then check the shaft for side to side play, if there is play in it it will be the bearing. You could also run it with the impeller removed to hear if it is the motor section. If it is the motor most likely just buy a new pump as it could be a problem replacing the bearing and keeping the pump sealed. Last thing you want is the pump oil in the pond.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I had an impellar that had a piece of gravel in it and it made a horrible noise .It was one I used in a stock tank so at least not a good one .I cleaned it after taking the impeller out and put a little vaselin on it and that was 4 years ago .I just use it in a stock tank of plants ,but it lives on .

Ask a Question