Can you suspend water lilies in floating "containers?"

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I guess, what I mean by this is, can they be suspended rather than set on a shelf or riser? If so, how to go about it....

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Check pond in frederick thread, think that is where I posted it. I made a 2 inch pvc frame, zip tied some door netting to it, put a lily in a oil pan in the frame. They are floating in the 5 foot area.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
sorry remembered wrong thread
try this
http://www.gardenpon...0/page__st__510
post 618

It is real simple, just take some pvc, use 90's make a frame, attach window screen to it, make the screen hang down to the point you want the lily to be i.e. the depth, stick the lily plus pot in and float!
I used two inch the lilies are heavy enough with the pot to pull the frame under water so you don't see it

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
You can also use addy's idea and make a floating planter pvc pipe ,elbows and window screening and just let the plant float .I put pvc around one of my plant bags and sewed the plant bag with fishing line to the pvc .

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
You can also use addy's idea and make a floating planter pvc pipe ,elbows and window screening and just let the plant float .I put pvc around one of my plant bags and sewed the plant bag with fishing line to the pvc .

that would work too, just stick the lily in the screening, I have noticed where some of the roots grew through the screen the gf fish do eat them. With the oil pan the lily keeps some of its roots safe from the fish mouths.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Would it matter if the lily was in its pot or loose? Just seems like it would be too heavy for the PVC pipe, but gotta trust you guys! What about 1 1/2" PVC? I have a lot of that on hand already.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Well without fighting the wasps to measure it, a wally world oil pan fit in without tilting it. Just made each leg the same length, not measured just laid out and marked. Used the 90's to attach each leg, zipped on the screen, stuck the pan in and tied it off with fishing line so i can retrieve it to groom the lilies.

I used 2 inch because that is what I had, that or 1/2 inch lol

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Thanks, ADDY! I only have 3 lilies, 2 small ones, and one huge one. Right now the way my pond is, the poor lilies are crammed up next to the "turtle-enclosure" fence. I can't really put them anywhere else, so thought if I could " suspend" them, I could move them OUT more and give them more room (as well as giving the leaves a better chance of covering the surface).

We haven't done our waterfall yet, so for now, SKIPPY is set up pond-side. The water dump is pretty powerful, and is interfering with where I want to put plants. Once the WF is done, and can somewhat control where the water goes, will have better luck placing lilies & other plants. Wasn't too concerned about some of the others, but the lilies are so darn heavy!

Gotta keep reminding myself that the reason I built the pond was for my turtles :) , so at the time, didn't know enough, and didn't take placement of plants too seriously. Making lots a notes for "turtle-pond-build 2.1.". LOL! [and first on the list: a bog!]. ;)

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
If the lilies are in plastic tubs or something you could just use a zip, strong fishing line etc to hang the pot from the frame, instead of netting. My fish leave them alone, with koi you would probably need to protect them

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I found these are working great to hold plants down the edge of the pond and would work for most ponds and I all i do is give some room for the potted plant to fit inside and give roots some room to spread a little

Attachments

• plant pockets 029.JPG
    plant pockets 029.JPG
    92.1 KB · Views: 650
  • plant pockets 028.JPG
    plant pockets 028.JPG
    73.4 KB · Views: 648

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
SISSY -- I can't tell... Are they sacks like laundry bags and are they simply hanging over the side? Supported by, or tied to anything? Above the water, in the water?

I have a cattail that I want to put off to one side, but no where to put it. Was thinking about making a sort of hanging shelf out of PVC pipe. Think I would have to somehow tie it off to something on land to keep it from falling in, but would be the equivalent of a window planter box. Haven't come up with details yet as I keep imagining it ending up in a mess on the pond floor, LOL! Just another project to work on.....

Ask a Question