Canadian Fishhead

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Hi All from Sicamous, British Columbia, Canada. This is my first season with a small above ground fish pond. This spring I purchased an 80 gal stock tank ( 177 gal by volume ) a great little pump / filter unit, some plants and feeder fish. I knew NOTHING so the learning curve was steep and sadly there were fatalities. However, I persevered and with the help of the internet and forums such as this I finally " got it" I am happy to report I raised 3 healthy vibrant goldfish ( A pure gold comet , red and white sarasa and a subunkin ) from feeder fish size to about 4 inches long.
I like this forum because of the wealth of experience and willingness to help out newbies such as myself. I feel like I have learned a lot over the summer but still have questions. Perhaps I could also relate some of my own experiences. Im sure most of them will be " old hat" to most of you but there could be people even greener than I am to benefit. I have also come to realize that some issues are unique to a smaller self contained pond. Giving a little back would be nice if possible.
I have some pressing questions now that I will post in a new thread. I will place it under the category Winterizing your Pond and will name the thread Transition to Aquarium. One of the most reassuring things I learned here was I am Not the only person on earth who can get stressed out about fish. hahaha
20220925_103047.jpg
20220925_135030.jpg

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Welcome to the forum. Nice variety of fish!

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Hello and welcome!
Thanks, I was just reading through some of your previous posts and saw a couple of ideas about wrapping/ insulating my above ground pond. I am still sitting on the fence re: leaving fish in pond or bringing them in. I have to get off that fence SOOON. Another member has recommended a little sit on bottom heater I am considering. It must be cool to have turtles. Just curious, do they hibernate in winter? I always thought that they needed to burrow into a few inches of mud to survive it.

Ask a Question