Canister filters

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
What are everyones thoughts on canister filters for the pond? I currently have a pondmaster filter with the pump and filter inside the pond. However, I want to change it to an outside filter for easier cleaning plus the filter and pump both have an advantage of an added uv light. If anyone has been to Lowes recently, its their brand of pumps and filters. The pond im planning on using it for is around 150 gallons. Therefore, im thinking of a filter and pump that will do at least 800 gph no more than 1200. Ive heard, in the past, that outside canister filters have an issue of blowing up. Whats your experience??

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Haha I know right? I think what he may have heard of is a filter where the pump is pumping in more water than the output can flow, so the lid pops off or something like that?
Ah I see I'll bet thats fun and games :LOL: I remember the indoor Aquarium pumps when they started to get bigger the Tera one was prone to doing that but just one side they were a damn pain :mad:

Dave

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Seriously, what's the difference between a 150-gal. pond with a pressure filter and a 150-gal. aquarium with a canister filter? While I would NEVER try one on my 1,500-gal. pond, it should work quite well on something that small, as long as it's not a Jebao! :rolleyes:
John

JohnHuff

I know nothing.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
Kyrgyzstan
Seriously, what's the difference between a 150-gal. pond with a pressure filter and a 150-gal. aquarium with a canister filter? While I would NEVER try one on my 1,500-gal. pond, it should work quite well on something that small, as long as it's not a Jebao! :rolleyes:
John
I think it would be a hassle to clean for both.

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
What may be a hassle to you could well be a pleasant chore for some other ponderer. While I personally prefer to sit and watch my fish, I know other hobbyists who really LIKE to get their feet wet! (Pun intended.) We can give the OP some of the pros and cons of these contraptions, but in the end it is HIS (or HER) choice. To each his or her) own! ;)
John

Reaction score
Just to clarify, I wonder if the original poster was referring to an aquarium canister filter, or a pond type pressure filter?

Nevermind, I reread, and it is obvious they mean outdoor canister.

JohnHuff

I know nothing.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
Kyrgyzstan
What may be a hassle to you could well be a pleasant chore for some other ponderer. While I personally prefer to sit and watch my fish, I know other hobbyists who really LIKE to get their feet wet! (Pun intended.) We can give the OP some of the pros and cons of these contraptions, but in the end it is HIS (or HER) choice. To each his or her) own! ;)
John
Well duh, he did ask for our opinions, didn't he?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Yes I dont mind getting into my pond and doing the work so if any problem happens I might catch it early. And, as stated before, I did mention the filters from Lowes so kinda doubt they carry aqaurium filters. So, again, if anyone has any real experience with pressure filters, either good or bad, thats what im asking.

JohnHuff

I know nothing.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
Kyrgyzstan
So, again, if anyone has any real experience with pressure filters, either good or bad, thats what im asking.
That's what I had when I took over this house. It was a real PITA to unscrew it and clean it. At least 1x a week during the biologically active months.

The problem with these filters is that the mechanical filtration isn't enough and it's a hassle to clean them. I now have pre-filters of a large capacity. The other problem is that they don't have enough biofiltration capacity. I currently have moving media biofiltration.

Also, it's not the size of the pond but the fish load. If you have a 150g pond with 2 small goldfish and absolutely nothing else in there, then it would be OK. Personally, I also wouldn't use a 850gph pump on 1 150g pond either.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
There is a canister filter on sale in the UK that all you do to clean it is grasp a handle rotare it clockwise and a blade scrapes the gunk of the canister for you.
Next time I visit the Garden centre where I saw it I'll note the name and company however there is a larrge price tag

Dave

Ask a Question