canna and taro out of control...

Reaction score
I didn't realize how quickly these plants grew!

I keep repotting my taro and my canna, and they just keep growing.

My black magic taro is now in a pot that is 16" wide (square shaped) and it's growing out to the point that the plant itself is lifting out of the pot.

I just repotted my canna into a 3 gallon pot two weeks ago, and it is again busting out.

I hope to have the upper pond, bog, and waterfall completed in the next week and a half, and had planned on transplanting the canna and taro to the bog. However, how will I contain them? I'd planned to just fee plant them in pea gravel, but am now thinking that they'll spread out of control and/or tear a leak in my liner.

Suggestions?

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
chillgirl-
Just finished my bog and got it planted. Cannas can get HUGE! I only had rooom for one of mine but so far so good. My taro doesn't like the pea gravel. It appears to be dying but we will see what happens.I pull my cannas in the fall and winter them over in the basement.

Reaction score
How wide did your canna get? I expected them to get tall, it was the spread I hadn't anticipated. Not only is there a crazy amount of root growth, there's also a ton of new shoots/plants that have come up.

I plan to pull my cannas and overwinter them in my garage, however, if they're too big, that won't be realistic...

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I had mine in 12 inch pots- That went to 15 inch and those split! Last year one plant went from one small plant to a 24 inch planter.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Taro are nice but have very aggresive roots. I grow them, but continually trim the shoots to contain them. I have some next to the pond and I'm thinking I might want to remove them before it is too late. What do you think? They sell really well as small starter plants.

Ask a Question