Canna lily rhizomes in fridge?

Joshaeus

Water hawthorn, Aponogeton Distachyos
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Hello all! I have a dark purple-brown canna lily I really like and want to keep over the winter...however, the only spot in my house that stays cool enough is my fridge (the outer door is in the mid 40's fahrenheit). Would the fridge work for storing rhizomes? If so, how should I do it? Thanks :) (PS...I will also be storing some dwarf hardy lilies in the fridge, but I KNOW they can take it!)

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Where do you live because i had cannas in NJ and all I did was cover them with lots of mulch when they died back and before winter hit I would take a large barrel blck plastic trashbag and lay it over the top of the mulch and weigh it down around with rocks .In the spring the bag came off and as it got warmer I would keep removing mulch slowly

IPA

Reaction score
63b Chesapeake-Pamlico Lowlands and Tidal Marshes
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Well darn ! I think if your fridge is around 50 degrees, it could work.
I would have thought the fridge would be too humid but here you go:

http://www.missouribotanicalgarden....visual-guides/digging-and-storing-cannas.aspx

the following site says you can store in crisper drawer, although it says cool dry place so maybe store some in a closet and the rest in the crisper drawer of fridge

https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/ornamental/bulbs/canna/storing-canna-bulbs.htm .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I've been saving my Cannas for years! I put mine in a cardboard box full of pine shavings, and place it in the unfinished part of my basement.
I tried the garage, they all rotted!

Ask a Question