Cannas in bogs

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Can cannas go right in a bog like irises? Was reading some articles and it seems like they don't like to be completely submerged. If so should they be raised with a bottomless pot with half the pot under the water level?

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Do the same as mrsclem, have cannas growing right at water level in pea gravel in my bog.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
i believe it varies greatly on the color i had reds in the bog like jhn and they did great . but i also had cream colored two totaly differant flowers and the cream did not like anything more then wet feet.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I'm going to try some cannas and an elephant ear. Gosh, as tiny as my bog is.......I probably am planning on too many plants ! LOL

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Gosh, as tiny as my bog is.
Build bigger! Watch the elephant ears, mine by the end of summer had sent out a bunch of sprouts, Took over a good area of the bog.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Build bigger! Watch the elephant ears, mine by the end of summer had sent out a bunch of sprouts, Took over a good area of the bog.
Do your elephant ears winter over Addy? I have been bringing mine in or treating as an annual. Same with cannas

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Do your elephant ears winter over Addy? I have been bringing mine in or treating as an annual. Same with cannas
ummmmmmmmmmmm no.. Every time I have tried to save them big FAILURE i.e. bringing them in, so don't have them unless I get new ones in the spring. So have not had them for a while.

They grew up over my head.
IMG_0238.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
are all your bog waterlevels just below the gravel? Mine has settled in the past few years so now the water level is about 2-3 inches above. Guess I'll add some gravel and pull up the plants a tad especially the cannas. The irises aren't going to budge without a good fight this fall...

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
are all your bog waterlevels just below the gravel?
I have some areas above or right at water level, other areas below water level, some areas where the bog stream heads to the water fall. All of the plants grow in all of the areas. It does not seem to matter to them.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Do you think I should put it in a pot and just set the pot in the bog? I usually have a big pot of them at the pond's edge, so can always do that too.

Interestingly, we have elephant ears that are in the ground and come back every year. Wonder if this late Spring frost will affect them this year?

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Interestingly, we have elephant ears that are in the ground and come back every year. Wonder if this late Spring frost will affect them this year?
I had some in the ground , they never came back. If something lives through our winters and comes back it gets to stay ow I usually don't replant it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I wish we had room to build bigger, but our bog is "land locked" so to say.....with permanent fixtures....patios, walk ways etc.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I wish we had room to build bigger, but our bog is "land locked" so to say.....with permanent fixtures....patios, walk ways etc.
if your bog simply isn't big enough and there's no room to make it bigger. no one ever said all the bag had to be loaded with plants . what I'm getting at is this if you have one bog that is strictly for biology. and then build another bog onto of the first bog maybe something like a second bog built directly above the other. similar to the stackle wiki showers.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
if your bog simply isn't big enough and there's no room to make it bigger. no one ever said all the bag had to be loaded with plants . what I'm getting at is this if you have one bog that is strictly for biology. and then build another bog onto of the first bog maybe something like a second bog built directly above the other. similar to the stackle wiki showers.
Guess I'm confused :rolleyes: How do I build a bog directly above my existing bog?

Ask a Question