Can't dial in return flow to separate ponds

gasman

What is the air speed of a swallow?
Reaction score
I have finally finished my 2 stage filter system. It is designed to filter two separate ponds. The pump is a elite 800 series, designed to handle 5200 gph. My ponds are about 3k gallons total. My issue now is I cannot seem to get the returns to keep both pond levels filled to the brim. I have a 1 inch intake and a 1 inch return for the smaller pond. I have a split 1 1/2 intake and 2 -1 inch returns to the big pond. The issue is the small pond overflows and the big pond drops. Obviously I have valves on each line to tweak flow. But no matter what I do I cannot get a even keel. One caveat, the pump is elevated above both ponds but there are check valves below the water line. With that being said,the priming pot will run only halfway full as opposed to my pool pump which is full to the top of glass. Is this normal on pond pumps?

Attachments

• 20140904_133551.jpg
    20140904_133551.jpg
    125.7 KB · Views: 419
  • 20140904_133502.jpg
    20140904_133502.jpg
    239.8 KB · Views: 415

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
My priming pot is full to the brim.

Are your check valves full open? Almost sounds like one is hanging up, maybe the small pond so the flow out of the pond is not equal to the flow into the pond.

I have split flow, but to do so used equal size pipes into each pond with a ball valve on each pond. My difference is the small pond flows into the big pond so the only return to the pump is from the big pond.

I did need to tweak the flow to the small pond to keep it from over flowing.

Last edited:

gasman

Reaction score
My priming pot is full to the brim.

Are your check valves full open? Almost sounds like one is hanging up, maybe the small pond so the flow out of the pond is not equal to the flow into the pond.

I have split flow, but to do so used equal size pipes into each pond with a ball valve on each pond. My difference is the small pond flows into the big pond so the only return to the pump is from the big pond.

I did need to tweak the flow to the small pond to keep it from over flowing.

gasman

Reaction score
Check valves are ok. I just don't get it! I can stop the pump and open lid of priming pot, it will start to overflow. I then put lid back on and start the pump. It will run "full" for a time then cuts down to half way.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
You know that sounds like you do not have a good flow into the pump, I have a 3 inch line going into mine, upgraded from a two inch. It is 3 inch then down sized to 2 to go into the pump

The pump is pulling more water than you are putting into it.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Also check your priming pot seal, it may have an air leak, mine did at one time. Take some silicone (plumbing stuff) and coat the o ring.

When you first turn it on you might see some air coming in from around the seal.

gasman

Reaction score
You know that sounds like you do not have a good flow into the pump, I have a 3 inch line going into mine, upgraded from a two inch. It is 3 inch then down sized to 2 to go into the pump

The pump is pulling more water than you are putting into it.

gasman

Reaction score
And that is going to be the case....I cut out the check valve and now have full flow. I have re engineered the filter system to just manage the large pond and forgo filtering both ponds. Although I had to cut in 2 more return lines to handle the higher flow. The returns enter the pond at different levels. Kind of Roman-esque. It will look even better when rocked in!!!

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Yeah one problem fixed, now on to the next.

I kept all my stuff in the same loop, made it easier to control the levels and flows. All the smaller ponds flow into the large one, the only draw out of the pond is from the large pond. I have around 10 ponds and one bog flowing into the big pond,

Just the one out flow to the pump.

ponds in.JPG

Ask a Question