Can't Find My Pump!!!

Reaction score
Ok, I know this is a longshot, but I'll take any leads at this point. I just bought a wonderful home. It's about 7 years old, and the previous, previous owners installed a lovely 3ft tall retaining wall in the backyard with a lion's head fountain that spits into a 2ft deep well.

Everything was fine until about 2 months ago when the fountain started sputtering, and has now given up. Sounds like the pump is gone, but I just can't find it.... yes I know I'm lame... I've drained the well, so know it must be external. I've searched the immediate area, but nothing. I suppose they buried it deep behind the retaining wall, but wouldn't it need to be near the surface somewhere?

At this point, I'd appreciate any leads at all... I found this forum, looked at some of your amazing ponds, and thought you folk might have some good ideas on locating a missing pump...

Best regards, Tom

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
If following the cord doesn't work, try Injecting air backwards through the outlet. You will see air bubbles at the pump's intake.

Reaction score
Thanks so much for the suggestions. There is an outlet about 15 feet away with an extension cord that runs straight into the ground. I could pull it out, but was hoping to find an easier way. Thanks for the air idea. I've blown both air and water through the bottom. Bit difficult but produces a nice stream out the lion's head.

I suspect I need to start pulling or digging things up. I'm just a bit surprised that they would have buried a pump. They must have anticipated that it would run out at some point.

Thanks again for your help. It looks/sounds great when it works, and would look really special with a fish or two.

Best, Tom

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
it would have to drain out from the well at the bottom,,, if you have a way to hide the cord and the tube going up to the head ,,just stick a new pump in the well ..tie it back to the lion head

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
DrCase's advice has merit.
Abandon the broken, hidden pump and re-plumb. That way, you will know where it is, how it is wired, plumbed and can service it when needed.:grumble:

Reaction score
This has become a bit of a grudge match, and so far the fountain is winning! My best mate agrees with you and suggests I install another pump. Query to you folks whether I would need to run new pipe or simply attach it to the existing system and have it run through the missing pump.

The only other thought I have is to hire a plumber with a video camera snake and see if he can point me in the right direction...

If I ever build a pond, I'm marking the pump with a big neon sign for the new owners!!!

Thanks, Tom

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Tom the $$$ you would spend getting a plumber with a camera,to look for the old pump would be more than a new pump that you have got to buy anyway,tie the new pump to the existing pipe, or hose,,,,that goes to the lion head

Reaction score
Thank you Dr. I'll simply get a new pump, and hook it into the existing piping... Undoubtedly, I’ll find the old pump about 10 minutes after I have the new one up and working. Thanks for your help!!

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
its all for the best...your dog will probably dig up old pump tomorrow.....

Ask a Question