Can't grow water hyacinths!

Reaction score
I know it sounds like a joke, but I can't get my water hyacinths to thrive. I start witn beautiful plants, they get smaller and smaller and finally they are gone. I know that my water is super hard, but that's not something I can do much about. What could cause water hyacinths, of all things, to not thrive?

Reaction score
Lack of sunlight, not enough nitrates. Have you tried separating them and fertilizing them a little (pot in the middle of the yard with some miracle grow). Mine are about 2 foot high. and crazy.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Do you keep them in a group, tight together, mine that are together are growing great and blooming, the ones on the edge of the group are smaller and yellowish

Reaction score
Do you salt the pond? To much salt will kill them.
Lack of sun. They like tons, at least 6+.
Lack of nutrients. Low or no nitrates. Water test can check for that.
Fish eating the roots. Koi love them.
Whats the PH. A real high ph can kill them. Like 9+

Reaction score
Thanks to those who replied, but so far no luck. I have cattails, papyrus,water lilies, and taros, all thriving in the environment. I live in Palm Springs, CA where we have 360 days a year of sun, and on our "cloudy" days we get more sunlight than much of the country gets on a clear day. There is no shade on my pond for most of the day. The hyacinths are free floating on the surface, going wherever the fish and winds take them. I checked the roots and they all appear to be fine--plenty of roots. These things are supposed to be invasive noxious weeds and I can't get them to survive.

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Mine that are floating in the pond do ok and that is keeping them corralled with a floating rope bunched together. The ones that are in my streams and falls are kicking *ss, so I think they do better in moving water being bunched together tightly.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
So should I move my water lettuce nearer to the water fall or other moving water cuz it's kinda yellow looking?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
So should I move my water lettuce nearer to the water fall or other moving water cuz it's kinda yellow looking?

Give it a try jw, my hyacinths are right at the base of the stream water fall, in a small pond in the stream and in the new pond. They are all green and blooming, all crowded together. The water is not moving all the time but it does have movement.

stroppy

stroppy
Reaction score
I know it sounds like a joke, but I can't get my water hyacinths to thrive. I start witn beautiful plants, they get smaller and smaller and finally they are gone. I know that my water is super hard, but that's not something I can do much about. What could cause water hyacinths, of all things, to not thrive?
i have no luck growing them, they started off fine then slowly started dieing off ... weather not so warm here, i also have hard water so maybe thats some of the problem

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Yep we are too cool here tmann :coolgleema:
But I could stick a few near the waterfall and see how it goes. Our weather is more like summer now, sunshine and blue skies so maybe there is still hope for a green growth spurt for them.

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Here is how my hyacinths look now, they are tall and green. The biggest water lettuce is about the size of a 12" plate. This creek has constant slow moving water and is doing best in this creek.

Attachments

• P1030188.JPG
    P1030188.JPG
    132.2 KB · Views: 316
  • P1030189.JPG
    P1030189.JPG
    93.1 KB · Views: 369

Ask a Question