carbon, yes or no

rdk

Reaction score
I read some things about carbon, should I be planning to use some in my new bio- barrel filter next spring or should I just forget about it for now, and wait until I see the condition of the pond springtime? Thank you very much.

Reaction score
I did pop a bag of carbon in my pond this spring for the first time. I sometimes get tea colored water and that helped. It does no harm.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Carbon is great to remove any coloring from the water. If you want, you can even recharge it by placing it into an oven.

I'm not sure what temperature or how long, maybe someone here knows and can add to this post.

Reaction score
You can partially recharge it by placing into the oven. Whether or not it will work depends on the material in which it has filtered out.

In the oven most organics will be taken out, but any heavy metals, chemicals, etc etc will remain. to do this would take an oven hotter than a pottery kiln, and, well, while it could be done it would be far cheaper just to buy some more carbon.......

Carbon is more of a as needed material and is not needed most of the time.

Reaction score
I'm new to ponding, but not new to goldfish keeping. I personally don't use carbon. Just one more thing to remember to change! Plenty of bio and mechanical filtration keeps my tank water sparkling clean and clear.

Ask a Question