Country
United States
Male Cardinal in the stream.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Your stream attracts so much wild life. I also remember you made a stone that pumped a trickle of water to it's top, for the birds.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
Cardinals are my favorite and I cater to them too. I bought safflower seed to add to the sunflower to deter other birds but unfortunately my feeders have been taken over by doves and they eat the safflower too...they occasionally allow the cardinals to eat but they sit right in the feeders all day and hog the food..I might have to get one of those feeders that the doves cannot land on to add to the station..All the birds are having a good time bathing in my stream though...I just love watching them interact:)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Your stream attracts so much wild life. I also remember you made a stone that pumped a trickle of water to it's top, for the birds.
You are correct with the stone that bubbles, I just started that yesterday. It is the first water feature I made that the hummingbirds like.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
they occasionally allow the cardinals to eat but they sit right in the feeders all day and hog the food.

I had the same problem. I got a new feeder that's smaller, thinking they wouldn't like being smashed in there - nope. They just cuddle up and snack away.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I had the same problem. I got a new feeder that's smaller, thinking they wouldn't like being smashed in there - nope. They just cuddle up and snack away.
It helps to have multiple feeders in different varieties. Our mourning doves prefer the large platform feeder and only make any attempt to come into the smaller hopper-style feeder when we let the big one go empty for several days. We also have a finch-specific feeder for the very small birds which none of the big guys can get into.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
It helps to have multiple feeders in different varieties. Our mourning doves prefer the large platform feeder and only make any attempt to come into the smaller hopper-style feeder when we let the big one go empty for several days. We also have a finch-specific feeder for the very small birds which none of the big guys can get into.
I do love the doves...and they at least allow other birds to dine with them..It's the blackbirds and jays that I find the most aggressive at the feeders...I will have to buy a fourth feeder for the smaller birds like you mentioned.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
i have not resorted to feeders as yet. the wild onion and grasses and other plants as they die off in the fall i leave for the winter and let the birds feed off the seeds

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
i have not resorted to feeders as yet. the wild onion and grasses and other plants as they die off in the fall i leave for the winter and let the birds feed off the seeds
That, of course, is ideal...I did not have feeders before I moved here because I, too, had enough for the birds to eat on my larger properties...Here I only have a small yard and LOVE birds so I feed them...I much prefer the natural habitat though...The birdsong awakens my inner primitive being:) I miss the cayotes and owls though the most:(

Ask a Question