Carniverous (flesh eating) plants

oldmarine

Married 32 years
Reaction score
I have been doing some reading and online snooping on how to raise carniverous plants in the bog area of a pond. It seems to be easier than I thought. I have watched a dozen home videos and some on the youtube site on how raise, feed and care for a variety of bog carniverous plants.

Today I just happended to find a Purple Pitcher (sarracenia purpurea) and a Red Pitcher (sarracenia rubra) on a 50% off shelf at Lowes. So I purchased them and brought them home. I'm looking forward to seeing how well they do in the spring after things warm up enough to put them outside in my own make shift bog. I'll have to come up with a way to create a bog next to my pond.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
looking forward to seeing what you come up with oldmarine, and how it works out for ya!! isnt it amazing what you can find on Youtube?

oldmarine

Married 32 years
Reaction score
Gona give it my best shot. Some of the pictures and videos that I've seen have really inspired me to grow some of these intersting carniverous plants. I have enough bugs and flying insects in my yard in the summer months to feed a whole army of these carniverous plants.

I have already fed the two plants that I purchased today with micro crickets from the pet store. Maybe by spring they will be big enough to transplant to a floating bog type potting medium.

Reaction score
You may want to find a copy of The Savage Garden, by Peter D'Amato. I managed a bookstore for 3 years, and this is widely considered the best book of the subject, and I've kept some myself (though certainly not a bog's worth). You can plant carniverous plants in plain peat or spaghnum moss, they don't take many nutrients from the soil, just from what they eat. Don't overfeed them though, it's the easiest way to kill them.

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
That will give you something to feed when the fish aren't hungry

Reaction score
Now if they only had a carniverous plant big enough to eat my x wife,then I would be golden.:lol: Interesting thought though,would imagine in the colder climates,they would have to be brought inside for the winter.

Reaction score
tonyb said:
Now if they only had a carniverous plant big enough to eat my x wife,then I would be golden.:lol: Interesting thought though,would imagine in the colder climates,they would have to be brought inside for the winter.
Some pitcher plants are hardy to zone 4, so your ex- wife better start to worry

oldmarine

Married 32 years
Reaction score
DrCase,

That's what the ex-wife is for. Oh, I guess that could be way to much fertalizer.

Happy ponding,

Rich

P.S. Everyone should have one of those next to their pond to eat the reacoons and herons.

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
LOL my 3 year old granddaughter made me play it 3 times yesterday
She didn't like the fact that i cant make the video take up the whole screen
No wonder kids are better with computers ...they demand more LOL

oldmarine

Married 32 years
Reaction score
I guess that I'm learning from experience here. I had floated pitcher plant in a floating basket that set a little too far down into the water. The plants started to look a bit odd (wilty), so I removed them from the pond. I set them next to the pond ,and after a week they already look better. We had some good direct sunlight this last week which I believe really helped.

Happy ponding,

Rich:zombie:

Ask a Question