Carnivorous Plants

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I recently bought a Pitcher Plant from Lowes. It's in it's plastic enclosure still. Do you have to acclimate them to outside before putting them in the bog or can I just put it in when it gets warm? The bog is in full sun.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Look up the variety, make sure it is for your zone, some won't make it. I would wait until it is a little warmer, imho

morewater

President, Raccoon Haters International
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
20140307_tmartin_2227-2-600x400.jpg

Reaction score
Country
United States
I bought two from Walmart last year and both of them died. Never even made it outside. I would like to find ones that are maybe a little bigger. I think that would give them a better chance at survival.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Gorgeous Addy. I looked mine up, they say they are hardy in my zone. Just can't get below 20* for long periods of time without covering them up.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
They recommend mulching, I forgot, so wait and see as they say. They have survived other winters avg temp bouncing lol

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
It said if you get prolonged freezing temps, put them in an unheated garage. So, I'm thinking I'll put it in a pot and put it in the bog. Easier to rescue if we have another winter like this year.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Nice looking plants. Do they eat mosquitoes and flies?

They love flies, wasps, ants, any bugs that come to them. We have very few mosquitoes here, think it is a combo of the frogs, birds, dragonflies they eat them up. And I have a lot of water around with our 10 various sized ponds and water collections.

It said if you get prolonged freezing temps, put them in an unheated garage. So, I'm thinking I'll put it in a pot and put it in the bog. Easier to rescue if we have another winter like this year.

Just a heads up, I had one in the pond bog it did fine for a few years then died. Try to keep the crown out of the water, just roots in. Mine do a lot better in the land bog, peat moss and sand, a wet dry cycle. They like to be wet the dry out then wet again, also like acidic soil. Therefore the peat and our water is acidic.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Just a heads up, I had one in the pond bog it did fine for a few years then died. Try to keep the crown out of the water, just roots in. Mine do a lot better in the land bog, peat moss and sand, a wet dry cycle. They like to be wet the dry out then wet again, also like acidic soil. Therefore the peat and our water is acidic.

Addy, have you seen pics of my pond, it takes up the whole side yard .... lol Have no more room to put a land bog in. The other side of the yard is reserved for the dogs and Bill's grill. It did say what you said about keeping the water half way up the pot so they don't get drowned.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Oh addy, I'm so jealous of your pitcher plants right now!!! I have about 4 kinds so far. Got them from Duke Garden plant sale near my house. I want more and more and more.

Th flies love to go in them and just filled the pitcher plants up then h flies died and rot the plant, but then the new ones come up very quickly.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
When I groom mine in the spring they stink from all the dead bugs in them. Need to do that once it decides to warm a tiny amount.
I picked mine up around 3 years or more ago, so far they have done great. They are in 6 inches of 50 50 peat moss and sand, on top of a hd tarp. I did not put holes in it since it is full sun and dries fast by itself. One thing I need to remember to water in the summer.

Ask a Question