Carp Hybridization

Reaction score
I have had 14 koi, in my first pond, since the middle of June and they are growing like weeds . A couple of weeks ago I bought 3 Shubunkin goldfish and didn't know, until last night, that they can interbreed with koi. Has anyone had a problem with this?

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
The only "PROBLEM" is if you happen to sell, trade, giveaway it's a good idea to let the new owner that they are hybrids. Other than that, really that isn't that big of a problem, MOST of the time,(Some say always, but I am reluctant to agree that they all are) hybrids are sterile. They usually don't get as large as koi, but can get as large as any large goldfish. I've had Butterfly koi and goldfish crosses several times, a few of their babies ended up being some of my favorite fish. So yes, if your breeding for pure breed koi it's a good idea to only keep koi together. If your just enjoying the fish you have, enjoy them together, Hybrids aren't as bad as some make them out to be.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Here is a picture of Toby, He is a Goldfish Koi cross, Mom was a butterfly Koi, dad a Orange and Black Comet. Toby is kind of rare in a way. 99.9% of the time a goldfish Koi cross will not have the Barbells at the mouth like Koi do, they usually have no barbells like the goldfish. Toby and Patches both have the Barbells, out of about 100 fry I raised last year these two are the only hybrids I have ever seen or heard of doing this although it's quite possible many go unnoticed as it did take a lot longer before they started developing over what a TRUE koi would develop. I don't endorse hybridizing, It happened and I now try and separate my koi from my goldfish, But Toby and Patches are still enough of a favorite and unique pair that they are allowed to live in with the butterfly koi on a permanent basis. I'll try and get a few pics of Patches as well. I had these of Toby I showed a while back in a discussion about hybrids on another forum.

Attachments

• DSC04379.JPG
    DSC04379.JPG
    40.7 KB · Views: 258
  • DSC04373.JPG
    DSC04373.JPG
    24.7 KB · Views: 280

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
We have a small pond at the garden centre where I work part-time, with a bunch of goldfish and two male koi. we get a few young goldfish every year, but this year some looked different. I caught this one to examine more closely. He has TWO barbels instead of four, and is growing faster than any of the goldfish. I'm keeping him for further study.
John

Attachments

• summer2013jr 054.JPG
    summer2013jr 054.JPG
    33.2 KB · Views: 245

Ask a Question