1000 gallon garden pond

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I haven't seen any frogs yet, but I have left an opening in the net so they can get to the pond. ;)

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have frogs bopping around everywhere, in the water. Mainly smallish ones. The big guys have not show yet.

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
One year the big guys showed up early. They were huge bull frogs. 7 of them. Then we got a cold snap and the pond froze... Ended up with frogs in the ice. Not a pretty sight. Now I would rather the frogs wait so I don't have any fatalities.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Agree but we have been so warm this year they are waking up. I think these are ones that wintered in the pond.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
i have seen many here fear seeing frogs and afraid they will eat the fish i say bon appetite. eat all the babies you want though i have had some very pretty babies already in only two years.

I have found an easy solution to a lot of babies . Take a five gallon water bottle and cut the top off where the bottle is at its widest. cut it about an inch or two back from the taper to where it narrows . Put a few small rocks in the bottom half for ballast to sink the bottle when you put it in the pond ..turn the top around and stuff it into the other half so that the nozzle is now inside the bottom section drill a few small holes through both pieces where they overlap and put some zip ties through holding them both together. tie a rope around the handle and put some food into the bottle and come back in a few hours and wala baby fish in your trap

Last edited:

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Frogs, dragon fly larvae, other small predators are welcome, it helps the pond balance. Herons need to stay away they take way to many fish.

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Interesting baby fish trap @GBBUDD . I might have to look into this if I can't get the couple of females out of my pond.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Interesting baby fish trap @GBBUDD . I might have to look into this if I can't get the couple of females out of my pond.
dont feed my fish much and when they start breeding noooooooooo food let them scavenge for what ever they can find .

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Mine hardly ever get food, keeps the population a bit under control. They are all nice and fat so not starving to death. Even after winter they are still plump.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
April 4 and then today, April 10

View attachment 127361
I'm praying the sunny pic is April 10 and winter was April 4 I am so done with winter though it was the most mild winter I can remember.....OH NO I SEE THE FLOWERS COVERED IN SNOW . THATS TODAYYYYYYYY WTH I HAVE A TON OF PLANTS IN TRANSIT.....

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
my koi have jumped up into the waterfall pond to try and kill a bird several times .I have seen them grab dragonflies when they land on the water hyacinth

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I also happened to get a picture of some of my oldest fish. My oldest is a goldfish that has lost most of his orange coloring. He is 15 years. I also have a 14 year old sarassa and 13 year old goldfish that was born in my pond. My koi are 14 and 11 years old. You can tell by the picture that my koi have not grown much compared to others that have koi, which is great because my pond isn't that big.

fish (4).jpg

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Your fish look great! How big are you goldfish @cas ? I have had a few for over 15 yrs and I think the biggest is only around 8" from head to end of short tail. Was hoping they would get bigger.

Ask a Question