Cat Litter Questions

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey Everyone,

I have a few questions using Cat Litter for planting

I've seen issue debated on here before, It's clear some people like it whereas others don't so I didn't want to start that again

It was just with the situation being the way it is at the moment I want do some planting in my pond margins but aquatic compost may be hard to get hold of currently

If I was to use Cat Litter is it just a case of add it straight to the pots and away I go?

Is it advisable to use some sort of lining like hessian in the pots before I add the substrate?

Any advice is gratefully appreciated :)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
It depends on the pot. I use the pond baskets and the litter tends to seep thru the sides. I lined mine with cheap landscape fabric.
I've got some sheets of Hessian that should do the trick it's quite porous so should let the water through but stop the substrate escaping

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I've used fiberglass screen door material also. Can buy it by the roll in hardware stores like Home Depot or Lowes.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I've seen issue debated on here before,

Ahhhhh.... but we're very friendly debaters here! It's pretty much whatever works for you is fine with everyone else!

I use kitty litter in my oil pans or lily pots, which are both solid. If I were trying to use a pot with openings, I'd definitely line the pot with something.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Ahhhhh.... but we're very friendly debaters here! It's pretty much whatever works for you is fine with everyone else
Even though it is a hole with water each one of our ponds is different. What works for me might not work for you.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I just fill the pan with the litter (walmart cheap pure clay litter) put the plant in, lower it into the water, some dust floats out, but it is good for the pond. The dust goes away quickly, the litter settles, the plants grow like weeds.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
On the route I walk the dog this evening there is a narural pond on an area of flood plain I've noticed some reed stems that are perfect to dig out and 're plant
Another chance to be resourceful when access to supplies is limited :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Ive been using Claws & Paws non-Clump Kitty Litter. I cant seem to find it on line.Is there another kind i can buy on line?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Any old kind of plain clay cat litter is fine. The stuff I buy doesn't even have a brand name - just a brown paper bag with "clay cat litter" on the side! No scents, no clumping, nothing fancy.

Ask a Question