Cat Litter

Reaction score
Country
United States
I learned recently that my neighbor has been dumping cat litter in a pond that provides water for cattle. Will this destroy the pond or hurt the cattle?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Depends. Is it the fancy scented clumping litter? Or just plain clay litter? And is it used litter? Why is your neighbor doing this @Neighbor ?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Welcome Neighbor! So is this 'used' cat litter? Or are they using new cat litter as a medium for planting water lilies? If it is 'used' the act is disgusting and in some areas illegal. Does the rancher know that someone is dumping in the livestock pond?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Welcome Neighbor! So is this 'used' cat litter? Or are they using new cat litter as a medium for planting water lilies? If it is 'used' the act is disgusting and in some areas illegal. Does the rancher know that someone is dumping in the livestock pond?
I just learned today that someone is dumping in it. It is used litter!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Depends. Is it the fancy scented clumping litter? Or just plain clay litter? And is it used litter? Why is your neighbor doing this @Neighbor ?
I don't know why the neighbor is doing this. Perhaps they didn't think I would find out as I am elderly and unable to monitor the pond as it needs to be.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
If it’s used, you’ll have a big algae spike, which is due to the spike of ammonia from urine and nutrients from the poo. The clay won’t harm the pond except for filling in areas, but depending on if the litter has clumping stuff or scent, it might mess with the pond, especially if it’s a smaller pond. If possible, talk to them, tell them to stop, if it’s on your property, trespass them, where police tell them not to go on your property. Other than that, all I can say is cattle poo in / near ponds too, and so long as their litter doesn’t have a ton of additives, hasn’t been going on long, and you don’t see a massive die off of fish, it might be ok.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1602780836089.gif
@Neighbor
I would for sure ask them to stop. If they wont then time for the police to come and warn them. The scented cat litter w/chemicals in it can kill your fish.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I don't know if this is a garden pond - sounds more like a farm pond maybe? You wouldn't have cattle drinking from a garden pond, and like someone else mentioned - those ponds get LOTS of cow poop. Although you're right @j.w - the chemicals are a problem if it's scented or clumping cat litter.

Ask a Question