Cat on my Pond

rdk

Reaction score
I have next door cat who likes to walk on top of my pond fence cover looking at the fish. I do not mind that but I am scared he might decide to crap on the fence and in the pond that would not be good. What about electric pond fencing, to keep him off. What do you think or should I not worry. RDK

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
rdk said:
I have next door cat who likes to walk on top of my pond fence cover looking at the fish. I do not mind that but I am scared he might decide to crap on the fence and in the pond that would not be good. What about electric pond fencing, to keep him off. What do you think or should I not worry. RDK

I don't think a cat would poop on the fence cover. They like to dig, shuffle where they are doing their thing. Sand, soft dirt etc.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
A cat would definitely not poop on a fence. Just hope he isn't a cat that likes to go fishing. I have 3 cats and they fortunately don't fish. Some don't mind getting their paws wet but mine do. Keep an eye on the cat and if he doesn't bother your fish I wouldn't bother w/ him. He prolly just likes looking at them swim and he might just take a drink now and then like mine do :cool:

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Well you can train them to poop in a toilet..............but you are safe rdk from cat poopers on your pond fencing

We have a bunch of wild cats here, they try to hunt the birds at my feeder, but so far have not seen them near the pond.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
A cat will NEVER poop on a fence. Leave the cat alone and let him look. The fish are safe.
I have had cats for over 60 years and ponds for 43 of them. I have never seen a cat fish sucessfully and I get plenty of ferrel cats visiting my ponds. They drink and move on. I have IR sensors that wake me so I can look out for raccoons. Many of the alarms are cats, so I have observed them in their nightime hunting element as well as daytime.

rdk

Reaction score
Thank you everybody. All he does is walk on the fence on top of the pond, looks hard at the fish and takes long drinks from the pond. I will now forget about him. RDK

Reaction score
Happen you enjoy bird watching, it is extremely aggravating to have the neighborhood cats hunting around your pond or finding a pile of feathers or a bird carcass. If you are a cat owner --- to each his own. Personally I would be very pleased if the cat owners would keep their pets home.:lol:

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I love the wild birds, have a lot that flock to my feeders. There are feral cats in the area, I do my best to chase them off. There are also cats that "belong" to peeps that come around all the time, I wish the owners would keep them home also ponderpaul.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
My cats were wandering the hood biting up other peeps birds so I had to get the Invisible Fence system and now they wear the collars and roam their own little acre and only bite their own birds. It's been working well for several yrs now. I know one of them would love to roam away from our property as she loves to hunt but it was either the fence or the neighbor was going to catch her in a pen and send her to the dog pound. I don't like it when she catches a bird even on our own property and she has several bells on her collar but let me just tell you, she is one good sneaky hunter. She tried to catch the Great Blue Heron by our pond one day and it was quite funny to see her trying to sneak up on it and then tare after it when it flew to the back of the house. She's a good mole catcher too when she wants to be. I don't feed the birds or try to attract them and I think they have been passing the word that the cat is only able to get you if you go on her plot of land as I hardly ever find a dead bird anymore
catwindow.gif

digginponds

pondaholic
Reaction score
rdk said:
Thank you everybody. All he does is walk on the fence on top of the pond, looks hard at the fish and takes long drinks from the pond. I will now forget about him. RDK
he likes to sit and look at your beautiful surroundings

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Yeah jw! come be my neighbor. That is so thoughtful of you. It would be fun to watch it try to catch a heron.

JustJack

Jack of all trades
Reaction score
My cat is still a scaredy cat for as big as she is and won't get near the pond. I've had cats for years and DrDave is right, they will never poop on a fence. Cats are very persnickety about things like that. We have several cats in the neighborhood that roam and they are always setting off our motion sensor lights but they've never harmed a fish or a bird. My cat warns me whenever she sees one of the neighbor cats anyway so I can go chase them off!

Ask a Question