Catching a koi

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Hi all. I have a 5500 gallon pond that is 3 feet deep. I have a rather large Koi that looks like he has ich and I want to treat him in a separate container. The problem is I can't catch him. I have tried a handled net (probably needs to be bigger) and place it in the water for the fish to get used to, feed the fish to bring them close but every time I try to net the fish he swims away. Any suggestions? Thanks

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I used window screening and threw food in it and the koi just swam in and lifted it out and put in stock tank .I did not feed it for 4 days so it was hungry

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I think it's much easier to catch fish, with two people. I've seen videos where one person guides the koi with a net, towards a tub / container, without exciting the fish.

I catch my fry by lowering the pond water and netting them out - it's exhausting!

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
You may need drastically lower the water level of the pond to facilitate catching this fish, but the fish must be quarantined and treated soon if it has Ich.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
If it is really ich, then the whole pond got it. Treat the whole pond with KMnO4. Unfortunately, it's cold season so treating the pond wont work long term cause ich will stick to the fish in cold temperature and will take forever to come off. You're gonna have to catch the koi anyway and treat it individually for five days while raising the temperature to 82.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Unfortunately, it's cold season
??
Treat the whole pond with KMnO4.

"Although potassium permanganate is a good choice for many external fish parasites, the repeated treatments necessary in a short period of time make it a more dangerous choice for control of Ich. Potassium permanganate is a strong oxidizer, and its use more than once a week is discouraged to prevent damage to the skin, gills, and eyes of the fish."
Ichthyophthirius multifiliis (White Spot) Infections in Fish
EDIS, University of Florida

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
??

"Although potassium permanganate is a good choice for many external fish parasites, the repeated treatments necessary in a short period of time make it a more dangerous choice for control of Ich. Potassium permanganate is a strong oxidizer, and its use more than once a week is discouraged to prevent damage to the skin, gills, and eyes of the fish."
Ichthyophthirius multifiliis (White Spot) Infections in Fish
EDIS, University of Florida

Well it's colder where I am. I know Florida ain't cold.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Hi all. I have a 5500 gallon pond that is 3 feet deep. I have a rather large Koi that looks like he has ich and I want to treat him in a separate container. The problem is I can't catch him. I have tried a handled net (probably needs to be bigger) and place it in the water for the fish to get used to, feed the fish to bring them close but every time I try to net the fish he swims away. Any suggestions? Thanks
Thank you to all. After ready your posts I decided to revisit the idea that my fish has ich. In looking at more pictures I think it is fungus. The one large koi has had it for almost three years. It seems to wax and wain. One of my other koi has it to since last year. I have over 40 fish in the pond and the rest of them are fine. I've tried every year to get these fish out and in the end I give up. I will try some of your suggestions. Thanks. What do I use for the fungus?

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@crazyforponds Do you have any pictures? And can you give us a better description of what the koi looks like....or rather, what the spots look like? It might be a virus -- herpes. You say it comes & goes...... Do you notice that the temperature of the water (IOW, time of year) has an effect on when it seems to be better or worse?

Also, I'm a little confused...... Your fish have had this for 3 years and 1 year. What made you think it was Ich?

Until you know for sure what you're dealing with, I wouldn't treat with anything. It's never a good idea to blindly treat. If the fish have had it for this length of time, and no other fish seem affected, then chances are it's not contagious. And if it's herpes, there is no treatment. IMHO, anyway.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
@crazyforponds Do you have any pictures? And can you give us a better description of what the koi looks like....or rather, what the spots look like? It might be a virus -- herpes. You say it comes & goes...... Do you notice that the temperature of the water (IOW, time of year) has an effect on when it seems to be better or worse?

Also, I'm a little confused...... Your fish have had this for 3 years and 1 year. What made you think it was Ich?

Until you know for sure what you're dealing with, I wouldn't treat with anything. It's never a good idea to blindly treat. If the fish have had it for this length of time, and no other fish seem affected, then chances are it's not contagious. And if it's herpes, there is no treatment. IMHO, anyway.
Thank you to all. After ready your posts I decided to revisit the idea that my fish has ich. In looking at more pictures I think it is fungus. The one large koi has had it for almost three years. It seems to wax and wain. One of my other koi has it to since last year. I have over 40 fish in the pond and the rest of them are fine. I've tried every year to get these fish out and in the end I give up. I will try some of your suggestions. Thanks. What do I use for the fungus?
You are right. I will try and take a picture and upload it. Thanks. Stay tuned.

Ask a Question