catching a pleco

Jon Nannen

Pond Newbster
Reaction score
Hey all, recently added a pleco to my pond. More or less to help the filters, and snails with algae a little. Anyways, my plan is to let him grow and try to take him back when temperatures aren't suited for him, to the store I bought him at for credit there.

My question being, I haven't seen him since I put him in, and would like to know when the time comes, if there is a way to bait him or an easy way to catch him.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I tried to catch my little catfish last year.. it was hard. I had giving up until it got colder and they were slower to be able to catch them. I't s probably depend on how big's your pond and how many hiding places you got.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
When You have a chance (closer to the time you want to catch) if you notice him on the shallow side, try to block him to that side. I used to use a big card board (can use about 1 hr then it get too wet to use) and block my fish's way and herd them to the smaller area to catch them. I cant do that now since my pond now have many things in it.

Reaction score
They are crafty. I have a few in pond, I see them occasionally but not often. No clue where they hang out. Sometimes I go at night with a flashlight and I can find them easier like that. I read some place they don't like light, so I guess they hide out in the day and become more active in the dark .... ?

Ask a Question