Catching Fish

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
So, I'm almost embarrassed to admit this, but I've never been very good at catching my koi. Nets, hands, doesn't matter. They get away. I've got 2 12" 3 8-10", and 1 tiny guy.pond is about 6X8 and 4.5 ft deep.

I'd like to do some spring cleaning. Any tips for easier catching?

Thanks.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Lower the water level in you pond and it will make it much easier. You can use a pillow case w/holes open on each end and lift them out so they don't get hurt.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
So, I'm almost embarrassed to admit this, but I've never been very good at catching my koi. Nets, hands, doesn't matter. They get away. I've got 2 12" 3 8-10", and 1 tiny guy.pond is about 6X8 and 4.5 ft deep.

I'd like to do some spring cleaning. Any tips for easier catching?

Thanks.

I've got a 30" net! Works every time without chasing them and stressing them. You can come up under them with a net that size and have him in a minute or so. As Meyer( @Meyer Jordan ) said, 8-10" is the other option and works well but can do a number on your water parameters setting the clock back...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Another way I found worked really well was when the water was colder (late fall, early spring, not winter) go out at night with a flashlight. If you go slow with the net, and shine the flashlight at them, they are easy peasy to catch. I don't think the flashlight hurts them in any way either ... at least I hope it doesn't!

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Another way I found worked really well was when the water was colder (late fall, early spring, not winter) go out at night with a flashlight. If you go slow with the net, and shine the flashlight at them, they are easy peasy to catch. I don't think the flashlight hurts them in any way either ... at least I hope it doesn't!

The flashlight won't hurt them, but they will stress just as easily in cold water. They are less able to handle stress as the water temperature drops.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I've got a 30" net! Works every time without chasing them and stressing them. You can come up under them with a net that size and have him in a minute or so. As Meyer( @Meyer Jordan ) said, 8-10" is the other option and works well but can do a number on your water parameters setting the clock back...
where did you buy the 30" net?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
where did you buy the 30" net?

Here are several... Forgot the site as it was years ago ... I couldn't get along without it, just for examining a fish. Using a
blue rectangular recycling bin sold at HD, you can come up under the fish and gently get him/her into the bin and remove the bin and koi from the water.

http://www.amazon.com/Koi-Net-Inch-Diameter-Handle/dp/B004SIDBMO

http://www.thepondoutlet.com/koi-smart-nets

http://www.newenglandkoi.com/Koi-Pond-Nets-c-4.html

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Well if push comes to shove go swimming in the pond.
I can pick up the fish by hand when I am in the pond. They come swimming around my legs, nibbling, just reach down and lift out.
No guarantee that you will get the one you want though.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
My goldfish are that way, too, Addy, but the koi are a totally different story. They don't come near me when I'm in the pond. They are totally hidden, and on the farthest side from where I am.

Ask a Question