Catching golden orfe suggestions sought

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi,

I have a few golden orfes (dozen +) that are about 10 yrs old. Most are about a foot long and lively and fun to watch. I need to remove some as outgrowing the pond space (2500 gal) and adding various Koi. Since a schooling fish and are quite quick, seeking suggestions how to catch them. I've had no luck with a larger fish net.

Thanks much for your time and thoughts.

Tim

Attachments

• 20220714_131538.jpg
    20220714_131538.jpg
    233.8 KB · Views: 19

JRS

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Using a single net, I have placed in the pond near the surface and then put some food over it to lure them in. Sometimes two nets will work, herd from one net to the other, enveloping them. If not that or if a lot of obstructions, lowering the water level might be required.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have some orfes, too. They are very, very fast and I can't imagine ever catching them with a single net.

I have used a weighted seining net at times and that might be a good option for those fish, to corral them into a small area and then net them.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
Hi,

I have a few golden orfes (dozen +) that are about 10 yrs old. Most are about a foot long and lively and fun to watch. I need to remove some as outgrowing the pond space (2500 gal) and adding various Koi. Since a schooling fish and are quite quick, seeking suggestions how to catch them. I've had no luck with a larger fish net.

Thanks much for your time and thoughts.

Tim
This has worked very well for me but you have to leave it in the pond for awhile and feed over the top of it...Then next time you feed just pull it up and you will get a lot of fish which you will have to sort out.

You will have to copy and paste it....

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
The only way I've ever had success catching my fish is my lowering the water level.

Ask a Question