catching Koi fry

Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone has an idea how to catch baby koi fry in my ponds. They usually don't make it through the winter months here in SD so I was trying to find a way to catch them to put in an aquarium during the winter months. Any Ideas?

Reaction score
Hello! With 3000 and 7000 gallon ponds draining them to catch them might be a little hard. I have heard of people using minnow traps. Put some food in them and the little guys can get in, but it is hard for them to get out. But this all depends on the babies going in to it. Do a Google search for them and they are pretty inexpensive.
I guess you could also try a minnow siene on the pond and scoop them out with it.

Next year watch for them to spawn and pull the eggs out and hatch them in their own little nurseries. Then you never have to catch them! LOL

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
I made traps using 1 liter coke bottles. Cut the top off and reverse it. They swim in for the bait and can't figure out how to get back out.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Thanks
I actually caught 1,700 mosquito fish this way. Being a R&D Design Engineer and a novice inventor, I documented the catch and the bait used.

Ask a Question