Catching your koi ( netting ).........

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Netting is the most important thing you can learn in our hobby especially netting sick sick koi/goldfish where you have to be very careful not to stress the fish out.
When it comes to catching our koi something that we all must master I know I've had a few go over my shoulder prior to learning the correct way to do it.
First off we'll need a 32" shallow net then a large enough container to hold your koi in. for both inspection (in the case of illness) and or moving into plastic bags ready to be transported to a show if like us you show your fish......
Firstly select the koi that you need to look at then very gentle with the shallow net seperate him/her away from the other koi , however it is imperative you do this without stressing the othe koi out.
Once you have the koi seperated from the rest very very gently lead the koi towards the surface with the with the minimum of stress normally try to hold the net at an angle underneath the koi until you near the surface of the pond then straighten up under the koi making sure the net is in front of the koi so that it swims towards you..
Next get a friend to bring the bowl towards the net at an angle so tht the koi in turn can swim out of the net that is under it into the measuring bowl.
Once the koi is in the bowl remove the net from under him/her and straighten the bowl out and the koi is then in the bowl, to release the koi from the bowl if you had needed to inspect it just gently tilt te bowl downwards into the water and the koi without the slightest stress will swim away again
However should you wish to catch the koi to be bagged then you'll need a sock-net,
Again with the minimum of stress head first ease the sock-net between the shallow net and the koi, always do this head first then when the koi is in the sock net remove the shallow net and replace with the plastic bag (note always double the bag up) then quite simply slide the koidown into the bag .
The whole proceedure should be strickely hands off the only time you should touch the koi is if handling it when its been put under in anesthetic for say the reason of treating it, remember to wet your hands prior to the handling the koi ( you must always do this) when finished you can then still handling the koi place it in a flow of well oxygenated water until it strong enough to swim out of your hands.
As I've already stated this whole proceedure can if done correctly be totally hands free unless anethatising .
Practice makes perfect .

rgrds

Dave

Ask a Question