CATEGORIZING GOLDFISH COLORS [ just colors, NOT patterns ]

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
More mindless ramblings, but just curious -- since we call them "gold" fish.......

WHAT GOT ME STARTED ---- I recently ordered some Watonai [Koi To The World, ebay]. All of them are colored and patterned very similar to Shubunkins. Except one, which is solid-colored, and either a dark bronze or brown -- I have named it "Cocoa." In comparison, one of my original fish is a common GF ["Mystery"] that I bought as a "natural" last year because I wanted something different from all the reds & whites. He looks charcoal-colored in the water, whereas "Cocoa" actually looks BROWN. ----

So what COLORS [names of the colors, NOT THE PATTERNS!!] are found in goldfish [and koi as well], and which are the MOST COMMON vs. MOST RARE?

To name a few I've seen: yellow, orange, orange-red, red, olive, white [bright white], pinkish, yellowish [almost white, but not quite a bright white], bronze, black, brown, blue .....

And, BTW, why don't you see "yellow" or "gold" fish any more? I know I saw a lot of those as a kid, but can't find them now......:(

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I saw the Watonai and I wanted some but Koi t the worlds shipping cost is high so I always try to wait for Nextdaykoi but they dont have the Watonai ($15 shipping to my area)

I think the color I see of the body of one of my Shubunkin is quite blue-ish instead of the normal white. I think there are the black/white/blue shubunkin type too.

I've seen dark red shubunkin and pale orange ones :)

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Slightly off-topic, but..... well, it is MY topic, sooo..... :)

Nepen said:
I saw the Watonai and I wanted some but Koi t the worlds shipping cost is high so I always try to wait for Nextdaykoi but they dont have the Watonai ($15 shipping to my area)
Have you ever ordered from NDK? When I checked, they didn't wave Watonai, either, but that shipping is good! At least with KTTW, they do only charge the shipping fee once, and the fish arrived within 24-36 hours, and in excellent condition.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
haha, it's your topic so you are allowed!

Yes I ordered once from NDK and the fish arrived the next day and in good condition. The thing is I only want to order 3 more fish so with the higher shipping and small number means my fish is more expensive per fish. I might do it for my Christmas present to myself though, since their fish looks great. I just used up all my quota for pond right now ;)

Mmathis said:

Have you ever ordered from NDK? When I checked, they didn't wave Watonai, either, but that shipping is good! At least with KTTW, they do only charge the shipping fee once, and the fish arrived within 24-36 hours, and in excellent condition.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have a few yellowish fish in the pond, not orange, not white, but a true yellow, not dark, sort of pale yellow. No clue where they came from.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Before I gave away most of my goldfish I had this 'cream' color goldfish. Not white but pinkish cream color... May be that's called white to some but I think it's pale pink :)

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
I picked up 6 'Lemon Comets' two years ago, at a premium price, because they all had true black markings, making them really stand out in a pond. Needless to say, all the black is now gone, and the 5 survivors all turned out to be females. They are a lemon yellow, quite attractive.
John

Reaction score
Mmathis said:

I have ordered from NDK several times ... they will put all the fish you buy into one box for one flat rate shipping rate, so make sure YOU dont buy more than will safely fit in a box ... ALSO ... those 100+ babies I got from ebay came from NDK ***WITH ANCHOR WORMS*** and MINOR fin rot on a few... Some day I may order from them again, but it's a good time to throw out the reminder to QT all new fish. Achor worms were not a big deal to treat ONCE I figured out they had them and what to do about it. Thankfully they had been in QT the whole time.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
wow, thanks for the info! It's good and all to get a cheap shipping rate but not if there are hitchhikers too!

capewind said:
I have ordered from NDK several times ... they will put all the fish you buy into one box for one flat rate shipping rate, so make sure YOU dont buy more than will safely fit in a box ... ALSO ... those 100+ babies I got from ebay came from NDK ***WITH ANCHOR WORMS*** and MINOR fin rot on a few... Some day I may order from them again, but it's a good time to throw out the reminder to QT all new fish. Achor worms were not a big deal to treat ONCE I figured out they had them and what to do about it. Thankfully they had been in QT the whole time.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Well, I found a "new" fish in the pond the other day, LOL! I's a goldish- colored common, that looks like someone ran a black paint roller over it's back! Good sized fish, and not one I bought. Oh, but same day, noticed that "Mystery," my black common wasn't around! Oh, no! I've had "Mystery" almost from day-one! :( Then it hit me: after a year and a half of being BLACK, "Mystery," being true to his name, is changing colors on me!

Reaction score
Nepen said:
wow, thanks for the info! It's good and all to get a cheap shipping rate but not if there are hitchhikers too!
While I was not pleased to have the added bonus, I really was not all that mad about it. The bottle of medication was $8, and treats 25,000 gallons. It wasnt an expensive fix, and we didnt lose any babies because of it. We can get fish with passengers anywhere.

Ask a Question