Caterpillars - koi and frog food!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
OK, so I had this fern-like weed, it was pretty, about 3' tall, and got what looked similar to Queen Anne's Lace flowers! I decided to let it grow this year and it was really pretty. Then, overnight, all the leaves were about 90% gone! Looked a little closer, and there were over 20 caterpillars - black, yellow and white stripes going around. They have fuzzy antenna on top of their heads.
So, I'm sitting with my son this evening, and I got the idea, "Why not throw a worm in for the frogs?!" So, we did. What fun. OK, I know we were killing the caterpillars, but it was a hoot! The bullfrogs sometimes jumped over the floating plants to get to the worms, which floated, or they would spin around, stare for maybe 10-30 seconds, and then attack. The koi liked them, too. The biggest challenge was throwing them to land close to the frogs.
Anyhow, just had to share! When I used to have laying hens, they would have fought to get to the worms on that plant! I don't mind pests if I can use them for good. :)

ididntdoit99

ididntdoit99
Reaction score
Some caterpillars are toxic, you may want to look up what kind of caterpillars they were, to make sure you didn't just feed your koi a poisonous bug.

Ask a Question