Catfish dead. Koi nowhere in site

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I think that what is meant by "liner under the waterfall" needs clarifying.
If you are saying that liner needs to be entirely under the waterfall module/unit, then the answer is...... no. If just under the waterfall weir, the answer is .......yes.
If properly constructed there is no way for water to find its way under a waterfall module. In almost 20 years of design/build in all sorts of configurations never have I placed liner under a waterfall module.....and never a leak

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
If you are saying that liner needs to be entirely under the waterfall module/unit, then the answer is...... no. If just under the waterfall weir, the answer is .......yes.

Ahhh... OK. You're right! I am picturing a waterfall built with rocks only and the builder expecting the water to flow down into the pond without water loss! THAT made zero sense! But your question definitely makes it more clear.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B
Ahhh... OK. You're right! I am picturing a waterfall built with rocks only and the builder expecting the water to flow down into the pond without water loss! THAT made zero sense! But your question definitely makes it more clear.

^^ That's exactly how it is! I am not an experienced ponder, but it would make sense to me.

I think that what is meant by "liner under the waterfall" needs clarifying.
If properly constructed there is no way for water to find its way under a waterfall module. In almost 20 years of design/build in all sorts of configurations never have I placed liner under a waterfall module.....and never a leak

Would you be so kind as to take a photo to show the guy how it should be done? I am thisclose to giving up trying to get it fixed!

So the pumps and waterfalls are off because something leaks. We appear to be losing water still! Because of little water movement on one end of the pond where the pumps are, there is string algae growing.

I spent hours getting some of it out.

HELP! Thanks so much for your advice. Aaaand now the photos won't post.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
^^ That's exactly how it is! I am not an experienced ponder, but it would make sense to me.

Would you be so kind as to take a photo to show the guy how it should be done? I am thisclose to giving up trying to get it fixed!

So the pumps and waterfalls are off because something leaks. We appear to be losing water still! Because of little water movement on one end of the pond where the pumps are, there is string algae growing.

I spent hours getting some of it out.

HELP! Thanks so much for your advice.

Do you have a manufactured waterfall filter or waterfall weir? If so, do you know the manufacturer?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B
POND1a.jpg

Bubbler 1POND2.jpg (you cand see the thing in the water from the big aerator)

Bubbler 2 POND3.jpg

Photo of the string algae. (oops - two of the same photo.)

Attachments

• IMG_8467.jpg
    IMG_8467.jpg
    153.9 KB · Views: 180
  • IMG_8467.jpg
    IMG_8467.jpg
    153.9 KB · Views: 181
Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B
I think it's a weir, to answer the other question. I don't know the manufacturer.

Edit: No, it is a manufactured waterfall filter.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Well, let me just make this general statement as applies to all manufactured waterfall filters and weirs. Manufacturer's provide the means to attach the liner to the unit so that the operation of the unit will be leakproof. That being said, either the liner was not securely attached or the leak is elsewhere. If you have a stream of any length, I would begin my search there. Next, if you have a skimmer module, would be around the skimmer faceplate. Then I would move to all of the plumbing connections.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Could you post a close-up photo of your Waterfall?
I just looked at an enlargement of one of your previous photos. I would like to get a better view.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B
BESTCLOSE.jpg BIGWATERALL.jpg CLOSEUP, SMALLER.jpg SMALLER WATERFALL.jpg

The waterfall with the flagstone - the source of that suspected leaf cannot be reached easily without tearing it apart.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I'm gonna say yes to all those possible sources of leaking. Do you ever see water or damp spots near those areas?

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
View attachment 97454 View attachment 97455 View attachment 97456 View attachment 97457

The waterfall with the flagstone - the source of that suspected leaf cannot be reached easily without tearing it apart.

Sometimes that is necessary in order to find a leak. After looking at the recent photos, I can only speculate that a leak may be occurring due to the way that the rocks are stacked under and around the waterfall weir. If place wrongly, rocks can divert water over the edge of the liner. The only way to tell for sure is to start removing rock that covers the liner edge while the waterfall is flowing. Any leak will be plainly visible.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
I had a similar design in the past... it works fine. The leak may just be a connection.

Or the predator that ate the fish cut the liner somewhere.

Ask a Question