Catfish from a lake in Pond to keep bottom clean?

shanezam203

Rookie
Reaction score
2013072817_32_11-vi.jpg

My cousin caught a few large Catfish and a 12" bass over the weekend but we threw them back. Has anyone put a Bass or a Catfish in a Koi pond to keep the bottom clean???

I am leery, I finally got my water CLEAR and I can see the bottom and my fish are getting along well! any VALUE in putting a (dirty) lake Catfish or Bass in my pond to eat the Algae on walls or bottom...?

Thanks,

Shane

Reaction score
I'm not so sure either would help maintain the cleanliness of your pond. You may also want to chech state laws about keeping "game" fish in captivitiy. It against the law in some.

Reaction score
I've seen ponds with catfish, one had a white catfish which was cool. I don't think a catfish would keep a pond clean, it would add waste. I've catfish can be a bit aggressive toward goldfish and koi, but not always. I've heard plecostomus are good at eating macro algae, but that gets converted into waste. So I think it depends on what you mean by "clean".

Ask a Question