Cattails — The Movie!

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Growing up, we had cattails in a pond across the railroad tracks that ran thru the yard. We always cut the cattails off, soaked them in kerosene and used them as torches. Retro Tiki Torches!
BTW- Just bought 6 cattail plants online to fill area below ponds! Hopefully endless supply of Tiki Torches!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I have only the mini ones both in my big pond and in the bathtub pond. They are just getting ready to have heads on them. I have them in a pot in the tub pond but in the other pond they are stuck between the rocks. If they give me any trouble in the big pond it's austa la vista baby!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
My dwarf cattails get tiny little catkins - but I do cut them off before they go to seed for just this reason! Those and milkweed pods... otherwise it's MILKWEED FOR EVERYONE!

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I'm looking forward to getting pods on my milkweed plants this year. I got seeds online a couple of years ago and they never grew. Now I have 7-8 plants in various places in my yard and it has inspired a butterfly garden! Monarchs love the milkweed plants so I have 3 different varieties plus hoping to get the wild milkweed actually into the garden. Guess I like invasive plants! (except Pennywort)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Guess I like invasive plants!

The first year I was really careful about taking off the pods. My bog backs up to two neighbor's gardens, so I was wanting to be a good neighbor. The second year I was ... less careful. Milkweed everywhere! Luckily the tiny seedlings are easy to pull up. Even the "tropical" milkweed re-seeded itself!

Ask a Question