Caught in the act!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a/7b depending on the map
Country
United States
I found the source of my water loss today. I noticed this morning that I'd lost several inches of water overnight.
Suspecting that I did in fact have a leaky pipe somewhere, I followed the pipe line looking for any sign of a wet spot.
to no avail. But when I got to the upper pond, I noticed water was higher than normal, and flowing out into the yard.
What had happened is the floating plants in the upper pond, had floated over and clogged the spillway, thus raising the water level enough for the pond to overflow it's bank at a low point.

I put the cure into effect by adding a piece of black roll pipe across the spillway about 2' out. That will prevent the plants from clogging the spillway and still let their roots act as a filter.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have the floating plant issue, a nice piece of pipe stops them from clogging.
Glad you found and fixed it fast!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a/7b depending on the map
Country
United States
Well, I needa change the main feed line from lower pond to upper pond anyway, due to size. But that's not an emergency kind of thing. ;) Water still flows, just at a tad lower volume than the pump is designed for.
So, instead of 4200gph. it's flowing about 3500gph. Still turns the water over every couple hours, so no worries.

Ask a Question