Cauliflower shaped growth

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I have been doing a lot of searching regarding this problem and am finding mixed answers. My oldest and largest koi had a wound on her side last year from spawning. She has had several injuries in the past as she is very aggressive and protective. The wound healed but then a growth started, very lumpy in shape. She does not seem to be affected by it and I plan on another round of antibiotic food once the water warms more.
This last week I noticed one of my other koi has developed a similar growth on its chin. This fish had problems last year as it was one of 3 that were attacked by one of the local preditor birds. This is a butterfly koi that has a mis-shapen fin on one side and has never really done well. This spring when the ice melted she looked fine but now the growth is there.
I'm thinking I need to remove this fish and euthanize it but what concerns me is are these growth contagious? Several websites say yes but without testing the cause is unknown. I want to give my big koi another chance with antibiotic food but I'm afraid this could spread. A vet to check this out is not an option, closest one I believe is in Georgia.
Guess I'm just looking for some opinions or possibly someone else who has had a similar problem. Will try to get pictures of the smaller koi but the large one will not come up from the bottom if anyone is around.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Well, I caught the fish and was surprised at how fast this had spread although I may not have been able to see how bad it was before. I have the fish isolated in a tank until I can get some clove oil tomorrow to euthanize it. If anyone has any idea about what this is please let me know.

Attachments

• 501.jpg
    501.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 341
  • 500.jpg
    500.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 295
  • 498.jpg
    498.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 291
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Oh, that is terrible :( I wonder what it is, as there are several areas that are red, besides the tumor / growth.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
When I noticed the problem last week it was a small tumor over the eye and the one under the chin. Whatever this is spread fast. I'm praying its not contagious. We had problems with this fish last year so im wondering now if my big koi got its problems from this one.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Skin tumors in fish are usually caused by either a virus or a genetic trait, neither of which are treatable. The redness observed in the skin of your fish is a sign of a secondary bacterial infection. Euthanasia is the only real option.
How is the quality of your pond water?

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Just tested the water a couple of days ago. Ph- 8, ammonia, nitrites and nitrites- 0, phos- 1. Water had just started to green up. I am keeping a close eye on the rest of the fish.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Darn mrsclem, that looks horrible. Poor fish. Hope all of your others do fine.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Well, I got the clove oil and euthanized the koi. This fish has had various problems for the last couple of years. I still need to worry about Big Mama my oldest and largest. She has a tumor on her side but its not spreading or causing her any problems that I can see. Not going to move any koi out of that pond for the next couple of years. I have 9 adults and 4-6 fry.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I'm sorry this happened, but glad the poor koi, isn't suffering. Positive thoughts for Big Mama .

Ask a Question